View Full Version : Not good, PC won't work :(

fergie
14-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi,
I got a problem.
I have a:
AMD XP 1800 CPU (1yr old)
256mb DDR RAM (1mnth old)
Chaintech Apogee 7NJL1 M/B (2 weeks old)
Seagate 60gb HDD (6mnth)
GF FX 5200 Vid card (brand new)
system.
Anyway, All was good, using same system except with a 2yr GF 2 MX 400, I ordered a new Case and PSU, and a Pixel View GF FX 5200 video card. I took all the parts out from old case, and put in new case, along with my new vid card.
Plugged in, turned on, and nothing, no fans going, no beeps, nothing.
A few things I've tried:
I've tried a
different CPU (duron .9ghz) .... nothing
Ram in different slots
My old Vid card - GF 2,
old PSU
reset CMOS settings
different IDE and Power cables
I've brought the PC down to bare minimums (no modem, CD etc)

All proved no good.

Any thoughts on what I've done, or what I can try to fix it?
I just hope I've done no long term/seriouse damage.

Thanks

tweak\'e
14-07-2003, 10:16 PM
strip it back to basics. take mobo out of case and set up the basics, vid card, cpu, psu, on/off switch......which reminds me check to see if the switch in the new case is working. if ok check back of mobo u didn't scratch the back of it or short anything out.

fergie
14-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Ok

I checked the switch before, it had been hotglued gunned into the back of the front panel, and glue had gotten over all the pins - but this shouldn't make a difference right?

I'll go and try what you said now, I'll let you now if any thing happens.

beama
14-07-2003, 11:10 PM
I know this may sound silly but check the main power cord also, I have experienced a similar thing and it turn out to be a faulty power cord.

Elephant
14-07-2003, 11:27 PM
So I guess that the Motherboard was working with the previous Video card. GF2 MX 400. If I have this correct and you are getting no beeps on power up then I think that TweakE has the right idea.

Take the Motherboard out of the case and reinstall making sure that you have no part of the Motherboard possibly resting on the case itself or a stand off brass screw. If you find that you do have it that way then you may not have damaged the Motherboard. There may also be a screw dropped in behind the Motherboard after inserting other items which will short the Motherboard to case. Once again you MAY not have damaged the Motherboard.

Insert the CPU making certain that you put the CPU Heatsink and Fan on there before powering up. If you power up without a heatsink and fan on the CPU then the CPU will FRY before you have a chance to turn it off.

Insert the RAM and Video card.

Don't ( just yet ) connect any IDE or floppy cables.

Plug just the Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse into the sockets on the back.

Power up and get into the BIOS if you can. (usually DEL key)
If you get into the BIOS check that the CPU you insert is running at the correct FSB speed ( usually 133 Mhz ) for your Athlon 1800+

Take note of any beeps from the pc speaker. If the computer will not boot from your NEW video card then insert the old one and see if that works. Computers normally get into the Video BIOS first and if the Video isn't working then you won't get further.

Get back here. I may be able to help further or someone else will.

wuppo
15-07-2003, 12:21 AM
If the case / power supply is new, you could have a dud power supply. If you are removing the mobo (as suggested above), can you try it again in the old case or transfer the old power supply to the new case. No fans, sounds like either a bad or switch or dud supply.

wuppo
15-07-2003, 12:24 AM
If the case / power supply is new, you could have a dud power supply. If you are removing the mobo (as suggested above), can you try it again in the old case or transfer the old power supply to the new case. No fans, sounds like either a bad power switch or dud supply.

wuppo
15-07-2003, 12:28 AM
If the case / power supply is new, you could have a dud power supply. If you are removing the mobo (as suggested above), can you try it again in the old case or transfer the old power supply to the new case. No fans, sounds like either a bad or switch or dud supply.

wuppo
15-07-2003, 12:31 AM

fergie
15-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Morning all.
I never got round to taking it out of case etc, but I'll try it first thing this morning.
Anyway, I've tried a different PSU (the one from old case) no luck, I even tried the switch from the old case, no good.
The new PSU doesn't have a switch on it howver, this shouldn't mean anything tho??
I've treid a different Power cord (3 in fact) in different Power sockets.
Also, isn't the Mobo supposed to site directly onto those brass screws?
When I put it in, i had a few plastic washers that I put around a few, but I only had 3, and didn't think it would really matter.
So it may be the mobo in the case, shortening out.
I'll get to work ASAP.
Thanks guys

fergie
15-07-2003, 11:56 AM
:)
I have pulled it all out, got M/B on floor, with vid card and ram in, and PSU sitting next to it.
Powered it up, and it works, single beep, detects all RAM, FSB was only running at 100mhz - but this may be because I had reset all the settings before hand.

I didn't find any lose screws or anything, so it must have been because the M/B was sitting straight onto the brass screw thingy's.

So what do I do?
Put it back in with plastic or rubber washers on all brass things (oh, by the way - when I lifted MoBo out of cse, most of the washers had fallen off)
Also, I looked in my old case, and they just had metal bits where the mobo rested, and where the screws went in - no washers or insulation or anything.

Let me no what I should do next.
Cheers

tweak\'e
15-07-2003, 12:27 PM
most screw holes n the mobo have a soldered ring around tthem and are usually 'earthed' so having no washes is ok. my guess is you have a spare brass standoff that is in the wrong place.

Pheonix
15-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Inclined to agree with tweak'e. Check that each standoff has a matching screw hole on the motherboard.
Could start with just putting the motherboard and power supply in and turn on to ensure the motherboard fan works. Then progressively add the peripherals.

fergie
15-07-2003, 01:48 PM
:)

I'm posting this from my computer!!

I had a look at the case, and yup. you were right, there was a brass standoff that was in the wrong place, i removed it, put Mobo back in, powered her up, and she worked!

I've been worried like hell for the past 18 hours over a screw!

Thanks a heap you guys!
You deserve a medal, now I can get back to playing my games using my GF FX!!

Cheers