PDA

View Full Version : Slow and dropping connection

bruciebear
14-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Have Windows 98 and Xtra for ISP. Using computer HP Pavillion. Goes well usually always get speeds 44 up. Started slowing with web pages loading, speeds varied 20K up and drops the line connection after being on line for short while. I ran out of ideas Xtra got me to reset Dial Up Networking and reboot. Now speeds ok 44 up and loads fast but still dropping line after short while. Any ideas anyone re settings or whatever? I may have forgotten some settings to stop line dropping off etc.Cheers all.

Peter Coleman
14-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Get Telecom to do a line check for you.The line could have a fault on it,also unplug all other phones,as these can cause all sorts of problems,especially faxes.

Peter

beama
14-07-2003, 11:36 PM
telephone extension cords are also a known culprit for this type of behavior

Elephant
14-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Does this happen shortly after using your Email client?

Outlook Express has a setting that hangs up after downloading mail manually.

IE has a setting that will hang up after 20 minutes of inactivity.
Downloading files off the net can be construed as inactity.

I'm not using Win98 but someone may point you in the right direction.

Jim B
15-07-2003, 11:22 AM
As mentioned the first step in isolating disconnect problems is to disconnect everything connected to the phone line, phones, faxes and if you have sky digital, disconnect the phone line from the sky decoder as this is a known cause of disconnects.

Extension cords and double adapters can also cause problems, isolate problems with these by connecting direct into the phone jack.

If no improvement try adding extra settings to your modem to slow it down to make the connection more stable.
What extra setting you use depends on the modem in use but most common modems are set as follows which will give a maximum connection speed of 33k
For Win 95 98 ME
Double-click on My Computer, then double-click on Dial-Up Networking.
Right-click on the ISP connection icon and choose Properties.
Click the Configure button.
Change maximum speed to 38.400
Click the Connection tab.
Click the Advanced button.

In "Extra settings," enter the string. +MS=V34
Click OK to save changes.
Shut down the computer and turn it back
on to activate the changes.

This might seem slow but the speed your download at is more important than your connection speed and even though at the moment you may be connecting at 40k to 50k your download speeds may actually be less than 33k and slowing the modem can give you a faster more consistent download speed than you get now.