PDA

View Full Version : My XP pro system doesn't like networking

manik_munkey
14-07-2003, 10:42 AM
I just got a new Celeron 1.7 system with XP pro installed, and it doesn't like networking to my dad's computer. His machine is running 95, and it's only his computer that won't network to mine. Our other 95 machine, the one my brothers use, networks to both of the other computers fine. Does anyone have any ideas on this one. We're running a 100 Mbps network with a planet 5 port hub. We're also running the network through tcp/ip. Both of the 95 macines are running the same network setting except, of course, addresses.

Murray P
14-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi. What message do you get when you try too connect your dad's machine? Have you set up a guest account on the XP machine for your dads one. I don't use XP but, I believe you need to do this in order for XP to communicate with a 9x machine. Check the XP firewal settings. What ver of 95 is it?

Cheers Murray P

stu140103
17-07-2003, 04:38 PM
All I have to say is Good luck!! :D it is hard to get 95 & XP to like each other!!

PS: manik_munkey Welcome to Press F1

turangilee
18-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Why not try using Windows XP's home networking wizard? At the end of the setup the wizard will prompt you to create a network startup disk. I had problems networking with my Windows 98 machine until I *copied* the contents of the floppy and then running setup again. Works fine until now...

manik_munkey
25-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Well, I tried the wizard, but it doesn't work for anything less than 98. I keep telling him that Microsoft has given up support for 95, but all he says is "An network is a network". I'm actually getting a little annoyed with the whole thing, seeing as all I used the network for is printing, while he didn't use it for anything. I'm thinking of wiping XP and setting up some form of Linux just to get him a little more miffed. :) (Evil laugh)

manik_munkey
25-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Oh, No message, it simply doesn't see the computer, it times out when I attempt to ping his ip address, he can't see mine. He's using 95B (The stupid sod won't upgrade to 98). And I've disabled the firewall. How do you set up a guest account? I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to try it.

KiwiTT
25-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Have you upgraded the winsock version to version 2 here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp).

This may help.

stu140103
25-07-2003, 01:34 PM
also if the above does not work
have a look here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21674) it may help, or not.

Stick
25-07-2003, 08:39 PM
what protocls are you running on the 95 computer also what ipaddress are you using on both