PDA

View Full Version : Random Restarts

Veale
14-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi,

My mate has just purchased a new PC Company computer. After setting it up for him it was working just fine. A couple of hours use and it now decides to randomly restart itself, no warning, just turns off in the middle of doing somethings and restarts.

I am stumped on why it would be doing this. Have checked all leads going to and from the computer and everything seems to be okay, which means it must be some setting in the computer itself,

Any Ideas????

Cheers

Veale

godfather
14-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Send it back. Its new. It should not do this.

If you want to see why its doing it, Start - Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery - Settings - untick "Automatically restart"

This will give a BSOD with error codes (hopefully) instead of a restart that may lead you to the cause.

Could be many things such as temperature (the heatsink may be dislodged from the CPU) etc.

Veale
14-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Cheers,

Will try that tonite.

Veale

manicminer
09-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Resurrecting an old post this BUT...

I am having similar problems.
I'm carefully monitoring things like CPU temp and voltage but no signs of anything amiss there so I'm stumped as to what may be causing this.

What is a BSOD as mentioned in the previous post?

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

I'm running an ASUS A7N8X motherboard with AMD Athlon 2600+ CPU. No problems for 5 months before this week.

Since I built the PC I'm not sure what part to try replacing first? CPU? Motherboard?

Any help appreciated.

Spacemannz
09-11-2004, 08:44 PM
BSOD = blue screen of death. It totally halts everything. You'll know when u get this. You have no option but to reboot.

I used to have the same prob with constant rebooting, with this PC. It used to reboot every 5-10 mins. Sometimes it lasted upto 30 mins - 1 hr before it decided to reboot.

I found out later that the power point this was plugged into was leaking power. You'll know if this happens, if u brush your arm along the case, if your system case is metal, and u feel power. In my case, this fried 1/2 the CPU (which was the cause of the rebooting). And the leaking power also leaked into the monitor cable, so when u plugged the monitor into the videocard, it wasn't only zapping the case, it was also supplying a bit more power to the mobo. Also, in my case since everything was under warranty, I replaced everything, the hdd, the mobo, the ram. It still rebooted. So, I replaced the CPU as well. Sent it back to Intel Malaysia, and they sent me a replacement under warranty.

manicminer
09-11-2004, 08:45 PM
To give a bit more info, I'm running XP.
Dont think the problem is software related because the same problem is happening even though I've wiped the C drive and reinstalled the OS. The system crashed a couple of times when I was trying the reinstall.

george12
09-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I had a PC Company PC too (although I think the new PC Co is different from the old one ?:|).

It often rebooted and/or locked, but was not overheating. But hell, I'm not surprised. The thing was (literally) glued together. Rang them up, but apparently their warranty didn't cover "that sort of problem".

And it was different from advertised, but again, they say that somewhere in their terms and conditions they exempt themselves from advertising "mistakes".

Then they went bust.

Anyway, I reckon it's the motherboard personally.

George

george12
09-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know the address of their website?

I couldn't find it anywhere on Google... strange.

George

ApeNz
09-11-2004, 09:07 PM
the pc company is dead - they have no website

Prescott
09-11-2004, 09:10 PM
> Anyway, I reckon it's the motherboard personally.

the olds have a pc company computer, its a the "power machine" back in its day, 1.2Ghz amd athlon, with a massive 128 ram, it has a good mobo in it tho, chaintech i think it was, these are ok arent they? all pc company pc's have chaintech mobos? its never had a hardware/mobo problem, but the only problem it has is that its got winme :p

george12
09-11-2004, 09:24 PM
> The PC Company is dead - they have no website

> My mate has just purchased a new PC Company computer

Put those two facts together and you get: ?:|

I'm pretty sure another company called the PC Company has started up (saw their ad on TV).

George

metla
09-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Try adding this fact into the equation

Posted: Jul 14, 2003 8:34 AM

ferrite
09-11-2004, 10:48 PM
there is a recent bios update for that mother board in case you don't already know.

george12
09-11-2004, 10:54 PM
> Try adding this fact into the equation

> Posted: Jul 14, 2003 8:34 AM

:8} Oops!

manicminer
11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
I've enabled the dreaded BSOD and the error that comes up is the usual load of garbage plus cnxtgr.sys every time.

What is Cnxtgr.sys? Is this, or something associated with this, responsible for causing my pc to restart itself?

Any help greatly appreciated.

godfather
11-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Part of the Conexant Modem drivers I think.

manicminer
11-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Ok. ADSL modem or my 56k modem?
Sorry I don't have much of a clue about this.

manicminer
11-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Ahh. ADSL I think (according to Google). I'll try disabling it and see what happens.

If it is this, then I'm not sure why because it's been fine for the last 2 months.
Then my ADSL line has been down for the last week so I installed my 56k pci modem...perhaps there's a conflict somewhere or the ADSL modem doesn't like sitting around doing nothing??