PDA

View Full Version : Modem Problems?

Phantom X
14-07-2003, 09:13 AM
New system will not connect to the internet. I've run all the normal diagnostics routines (including trouble shooting processes, removed all other devices from other jack points in the house, and tested the phone jack point by connecting another computer to it) all to no avail.

As soon as I plug in the phone cable from the new computer to the jack point the line goes dead - not just on the jack point connecting the PC but the other phone jack points in the house (i.e. it appears there is something that is compromising the communications).

The system error message indicates no dial tone (error 680), and I've run all the options suggested by the operating system to address the problem. I'm using an internal PCI modem on an AMD 2800+ platform running on MS XP home edition (this is a brand new system straight out of the box the only action I've taken is to power it up and hook up my ISP connection).

Curly
14-07-2003, 10:38 AM
It could be something as simple as a faulty phone wall socket to modem cable. Anyway it sounds like something is shorting out and this cable is taking out all other phone connections too.

Try another cable but make sure it is a modem cable, others that look like them may not be suitable either.

Ahh - now that I have finished reading your entire post, I see it is brand spanking new - TAKE IT BACK, disregard the above, just take it back and tell them to fix it.

tweak\'e
14-07-2003, 12:42 PM
one other thing i have had cause this is a faulty power supply. i would be inclined to check what sort of PSU they are useing. if its an elcheapo and/or undersized then expect further problems later on.

Pheonix
14-07-2003, 01:11 PM
It's a PCI tweak'e by his explanation above. I would agree that it is the modem card that is faulty, so take it back for replacement. Easy to check if it is the cord, just unplug it from the card end and if the other phones become live again...it's the card.

tweak\'e
14-07-2003, 01:21 PM
>It's a PCI tweak'e by his explanation above

no kidding! :p

a faulty PSU, ie power supply IN the PC, can also cause this problem.

Pheonix
14-07-2003, 02:10 PM
A new one on me.

Kame
14-07-2003, 03:38 PM
You wouldn't happen to be using a generic modem drivers?

I would take the system back and get them to get it working, you shouldn't have to try and fix it yourself being a brand new PC.

Generic modem drivers are the last resort, and used when all else fails but they can fail too, I have had problems with generic modem drivers that my only fix was to buy a cheap PCI modem that comes with the drivers

godfather
14-07-2003, 03:48 PM
> a faulty PSU, ie power supply IN the PC, can also
> cause this problem.

Yes agreed.

You will find that the modem could be the only device using some of the (-Ve) PSU rails, and if they are dodgy then the PC will run fine but the modem won't.