PDA

View Full Version : Media Player mysteriously starting up

amitluis
14-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Hi everyone,
A rather strange happening that I've noticed of late. When I turn on my PC, just SOMETIMES Windows Media Player(6.4) starts up and then appears to try to connect to an invalid url.
I'm running Win.'98 & have thoroughly checked to ensure that Media Player or any other application that might use it, is not in my startup folder. I've also run msconfig to check all the processes that start up and have even checked the autoexec.bat file, but no luck.
It might be unrelated, but I've noticed by browser and email(OE) going quite slow of late. I've tried to ensure to the best of my ability(I've run NAV, ZoneAlarm, Adaware & SpyCop) that there is no rogue application(spyware, adware etc.) that's hiding on my PC somewhere.
Any ideas anyone ?
Cheers !
Amit

mikebartnz
14-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Check to see if any of the start up programs was developed by Elk Soft . If so get rid of them on next boot up.

amitluis
14-07-2003, 02:24 AM
I've got no programs starting up except Zone Alarm and Norton's anti-virus - and I've never had a problem with these.
Thanks !

mikebartnz
14-07-2003, 02:30 AM
Try the three fingered salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see exactly what is running.

amitluis
14-07-2003, 02:36 AM
Done that. Just the standard processes running with the addition of navapw32 (N.A.V.) and vsmon, minilog (part of ZoneAlarm).

intelliagent
14-07-2003, 03:02 AM
One Q. about your Zonealarm - Can you provide a list of what programs on your computer have access rights to the internet (full access and prompt access) ? ... If the programs you are worried about have No Access (blocked) you have little to worry about !

amitluis
14-07-2003, 03:09 AM
Only a standard set of programs that are allowed to access the net. IE, OE, NAV, Yahoo messenger.
And it still doesn't solve the problem of Media Player mysteriously appearing on start-up !!
Thanks for your reply though !

tweak\'e
14-07-2003, 01:29 PM
how uptodate is your antivirus?

it sure sounds interesting. my first thoughts where virus or a browser hijack.

have you got the active destop on? mayby try reset/repair IE.

amitluis
14-07-2003, 01:37 PM
My antivirus is updated at the minimum, every week. My PC is normally in "healthy" condition - I keep everything updated about twice weekly. I run Scandisk, defrag etc atleast once a month, cache/history/cookies deleted etc. That's why I find this very intriguing as this is the first issue I've had that's had me stumped !!

intelliagent
14-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Have you got REGCLEANER by Jouni Vuorio - you can goto http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml to read about it and get it - ONE of its functions is to see what is on the startup list - I find it better than Microsoft Regclean and System Configuratin Utility combined. ... B)

Susan B
14-07-2003, 11:32 PM
This site (http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/) has a few tools that allows you to see what programs are running at startup. They may give you some ideas on what is causing your problem.

amitluis
17-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Hi guys,
I've tried the above program(s) suggested & just can't crack this one. Media Player again mysteriously came up today & tried to connect to an invalid url.
I was impressed with RegCleaner, it turned up quite a few entries I was quite surprised to see. I deleted a few that I thought were safe to delete but there were a few I had to leave that I wasn't sure about. Still though, msconfig should list every program that loads on startup?
Still looking for answers - and thanks for all the help !
- Amit

Odin
17-07-2003, 02:14 AM
It might be the automatic update feature on mediaplayer you don't really get an option to turn this off the only options you get is check for update once a week or once a month. I noticed you mentioned Spycop not sure if you meant Spybot S&D but I recommend that you get that and run it, if you haven't already that is.

amitluis
17-07-2003, 02:15 AM
In addition to the above, I tried Susan's suggestion and used "StartupList". It didn't turn up anything suspicious. The file is too long to paste here but I could email it to one of your experts out there to take a look at & perhaps confirm my thoughts?

Susan B
17-07-2003, 01:54 PM
amitluis, send me an email to topazz10 at hotmail.com.

intelliagent
17-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Don't know if this will help - but have you got BigFix, http://www.bigfix.com/website/products/consumer.html or the latest updates from Microsoft Windows Update? http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

amitluis
18-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Susan: You've got mail :-) Thanks for that !
Intelliagent: I've got every possible MS Windows Update possible. I looked at BigFix but somehow don't believe it will help. Thanks for all the suggestions though, esp. RegCleaner :)

intelliagent
18-07-2003, 02:19 AM
cheers ... good luck

Susan B
18-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Hi amitluis, there is some suspicious stuff in your Startup List that I am checking out, but in the meantime can you download the latest AdAware references and also make sure Spybot is right up to date and give both of them a run.

When you have done that go to this page (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html) and download the HijackThis and BHOList programs and run them also. The results for those two can be emailed to me if you wish.

When all that has been done we will go from there. :-)

tommy
18-07-2003, 04:47 PM
> When I turn on my PC, just SOMETIMES Windows Media Player(6.4) starts up and then appears to try to connect to an invalid url.

What is this url that it tries to go to?

amitluis
18-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Susan: I did run Adaware with the latest reference file but I will do it again when I get back home tonight after work. Will also try those programs you mentioned about? They are definitely "safe" programs right?
Tommy: Yeah, I was curious about that as well but for some reason I cannot find the url it tries to connect to. I just the error dialogue box stating that the path is invalid , or something to that effect.

abjp
18-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Media player has an automatic update facility.
This is because when you copy tracks from a Cd into Media Player only the track numbers are shown and it is necessary to get the details from the internet which is done by clicking on "Get Album Info" button when Media player will connect to the internet and get the details and fill them in. This is is quite miraculous to watch.

As a back up in case something changes or you havent done it you can schedule Media Player to do it itself, which is probably what is happening.

In Media player go to Tools/Options then click on the "Player" tab
and under "Automatic updates" you have options

"Once a day" "Once a week" "Once a month" so pick "Once a month: if you are not copying a lot of music.
Best of luck.

amitluis
19-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Abjp, my version of Media Player (6.4) does not (appear to) have an automatic update facility. I've double-checked in the options as well. Moreover, I've been using this version for over 5 yrs now without any of this happen before. And no, it's not trying to connect to get "Album info" either - I've checked all that as well - this version does not even have the CDDB functionality that I think you are referring to.
Susan - will hopefully do what you've suggested tonight.
Thanks everyone for your assistance - I'm sure we can crack this !

mark c
19-07-2003, 02:55 PM
My non geek solution to this would be to uninstall, remove, delete, wipe and then get rid of Media Player and re-download it.

Chilling_Silently
19-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Might I suggest updating WMP to a more recent version?

tweak\'e
19-07-2003, 03:37 PM
what more important is what is makeing media player start up. there must be something in startup doing it (or a driver of some sort). i would be inclinded to what programs are running in the background and also any files, dll etc are open.

if its only doing it sometimes it could be a bit of a job tracking what it is :(

stu140103
19-07-2003, 03:52 PM
This is one on weird problem!

Here is a idea

1. Go throw windows Media Player& see if there is any urls listed in Media Player, which is the same as what comes up at start up.

amitluis
21-07-2003, 04:36 AM
Susan: I've now run Adaware and Spybot with the latest definitions. I was quite intrigued when Adaware picked up additional files, given that I ran it probably only about 3 days ago with the same definition file. Spybot had a registry reference to Media Player that I thought was unusual; I've deleted that and let's see if any of this helps. I've also emailed you the results of HijackThis and BHOList as requested.
Tommy: As mentioned earlier, we're unable to find out what the url it connects to is.
Mark: I don't think it's MediaPlayer per se that's causing it, rather it's some other application that uses Media Player. Let's see, I might do that if all else fails.
ChillingSilently: My PC is quite old and 6.4 serves my needs perfectly. I did install ver.7 ages ago and it was too bloated for my(and my PC's) liking.
Tweak'e: I've checked all that you've suggested. No urls listed. I wonder if ver.6.4 even keeps a history as I could find no way of enabling it.

Cheers !
Amit