PDA

View Full Version : Networking Problems

turangilee
14-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Hi guys!
I am five networked PCs in my home. However, all PCs are in different rooms, and throwing the cables to and fro could be a real nuisance sometimes, and I have three cables dangling on the roof, quite exposed to the cold winter weather! [Wireless LAN are still too expensive =( ] Any ideas on how to tidy up the cables without creting such an appaling sight of messy cables inside the house? Any suggestions mould be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PoWa
14-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Well, I have mine running along the walls, and stuck there with blutack. ;) It works ok, but gets a little tricky when going in and out of doors.

intelliagent
14-07-2003, 03:11 AM
> Hi guys!
> I am five networked PCs in my home. However, all PCs
> are in different rooms, and throwing the cables to
> and fro could be a real nuisance sometimes, and I
> have three cables dangling on the roof, quite exposed
> to the cold winter weather! [Wireless LAN are still
> too expensive =( ] Any ideas on how to tidy up the
> cables without creting such an appaling sight of
> messy cables inside the house? Any suggestions mould
> be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Turangilee ... I am assuming yo have a HUB or SWITCH to interconnect all 5 PC's - and you still want all 5 to be able to communicate with each other - you basically have to run a cable from each computer NIC to the Hub/Switch - and the only way to cut down on cabling is to centralise the Hub/Switch ... there is no real shortcut, unless you want to create two sub-networks (two hubs) and interconnect them with all of the hassles that goes with ... don't worry about cold weather and cables, shouldn't be a problem ... I have 4 computers on a LAN and two of the cables are over 20 metres long - but if you want them to talk to each other, you have to have the wires

whetu
14-07-2003, 03:01 PM
hi turangilee,
are you able to get either under your house or in the rafters? I used to have this problem at my flat, but after a visit to a friend at DSE (cheap cat5) the issue was soon sorted, as can be seen here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3157

My father is a telecommunications engineer, so I've crawled through a lot of cobweb infested corners of homes helping him do the cabling, so I've got enough experience to give suggestions...

turangilee
14-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys! You guys are a bunch of helpful lot! =) Cheers