PDA

View Full Version : "Large" hard drives

Caesius
13-07-2003, 11:53 PM
I've just been given an spare (12GB I think) hard drive to play around with. But I've never seen anything like it before! It is huge (physically), it looks as wide as a CD-ROM drive but much flatter.

What are these HDs? Why do they exist? What cases were they built for?

Oh, and also does anyone know of any good places to learn about HDs (like computerhope.org)?

bmason
14-07-2003, 12:06 AM
There are a few 5.25" hdds around. The one you have sounds like a quantium bigfoot. I have a 4gb one somewhere.

They fit into a spare 5.25" drive bay (below your cd-rom) in your case.

As for why, I guess it would allow a larger capacity than a 3.5" drive without having to improve the density of the drive.

Graham L
14-07-2003, 06:34 PM
The Bigfoot series were made because they had a lot of expertise in making 5" drives. I've got a few "full height" MFM drives still running. They are about 3" high. Then there were half-height drives (size of a CD drive). Then 1" high, and I think the Bigfoot is a bit less, maybe ".

Your one might not be all that big in capacity: the most common size was 1.2 GB . The first 5¼" drive was the Shugart 506. 5 MB. That was a revolutionary small drive ... most disks before that fitted in 19" racks. with the actual platters 12" or 14". IBM's first disk had 50 24" diameter platters on a spindle. It was about 5 feet high, 5 feet wide, and 3 feet deep.

tweak\'e
14-07-2003, 08:45 PM
>The Bigfoot series

also nicknamed "slowfoot" :^O