PDA

View Full Version : Dial up

j4john
13-07-2003, 08:19 PM
I am running a wireless network consisting of 2 laptops and a desktop computer which is connected to the Internet by Internet sharing. Whenever I start one of the laptops it automatically forces a connection to the Internet. Disconnecting the dial-up connection only solves the problem for a random amount of time when it redials. I have attempted to turnoff possible culprits but no solution as yet. Is there an easy way of detecting what application is wanting to access the Internet?

cyberchuck
13-07-2003, 08:55 PM
There are several causes of this:
1 - your network protocol is bound to a dialup adapter, and is therefore trying to initiate a connection to "prepare" your network.
2 - you have public DNS Servers set - this is caused by the laptops not having a Browser Master on the network and therefore resorting to go to their DNS Servers to resolve host names. Do you have a PC on your network as well that could take "charge" and be the browser master?
3 - Something is getting started when your laptop starts which either wants to phone home, or, wants to gain connectivity to another system - although a firewall should pick this up

CyberChuck

tweak\'e
13-07-2003, 11:23 PM
i assume you are useing ICS. what OS on the pc that directly connects to the net? i bet you have the "auto dail" setting in ICS set on (its on by default in most windows OS's)