linux machine (dual boot))
P450
98SE/ Vector Linux 3.2
256Mb ram

Windows server
1.3Gb Amd Duron
XP pro
Sygate server
(not my machine so i can't fiddle with it)

The problem is I cannot get the two machines to talk to each other I have done the netconfig etc and i still can't get either machine to ping the other, I know it is not the NICs, Cable, Hub or server as the network works perfectly well, if the linux Machine is running 98SE,

almost all the FAQs I have read say to make sure Tcp/ip is set up on the linux machine, I am pretty sure I have done this with the netconfig, after all it can ping itself. so I am kind of stumped.

The Windows Machine has to be the server, and the linux machine must log through it to get on the net.

I hope I've provided enough information, if I have missed something let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel

Patryn999
13-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Lets grab a little more info :
Is the system DHCP or static?
Do the server and *nix box have similair IP's? (e.g 192.168.0.x)
Does the sygate server need any special scripts to be run?

Cheers
Patryn

Graham L
13-07-2003, 04:32 PM
The linux network configuration tools should get it right. If the network card is detected in the startup, (have a look at dmesg, or watch carefuly at start up) it will "almost certainly" work. A ping to "localhost" (127.0.0.1) does not involve the NIC or cabling; it tests the TCP/IP stack. ifconfig will tell you quite a lot about the setup.

You'll need to have the server set as the Gateway for the Linux machine. The server will probably have a static IP address (on the LAN side, anyway) so you can enter that into an /etc/hosts file like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
168.192.0.1 server.my.net server # you can have an alias like "server" here

Nigel Thomson
13-07-2003, 08:02 PM
yes the server is DHCP although we have tried running it static but it makes no difference and the i/p addresses are similar
I will try out some of the suggestions and get back to you guys

Thanks

Graham L
14-07-2003, 05:28 PM
The server may be running DHCP, but it will have a fixed IP address itself.

ugh1
15-07-2003, 03:29 PM
I asume you need to do this:

Linux/98se ---> WinXp ---> Sygate server ---> Internet

If so you will need two network cards in the XP computer with one card connected too the Linux/98se computer and the other card too the Sygate server.

You will then need to enable Internet Connection Sharing on the XP computer.

What I cannot tell you is if this will work with just two network cards as I think one network device has to be a dial-up adapter?

Any how assuming XP will do what you wont (ip forwarding) all you need too do is tell Linux to use DHCP and 98se too assign ip address automaticly and you will be off and running.

Graham L
15-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Nonsense.

The server is a server. It doesn't need a router/forwarder/or bloody ICS to get access to it from a machine with a cable plugged into its hub. A linux client is a very good client. If it is given an IP address in the server's network, it will work.

I assume that this is a "legal" connection. If the system administrator does not know about this you will have bigger problems than not being able to connect the Linux configuration. But if the box connects properly when it's being a W98, it will work when running Linux.

patgade
15-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Seeing the output from "ifconfig" on the linux box and "ipconfig /all" from xp and the 98 installations would be usefull.

If you can't even ping the network settings under linux are most likely incorrect - unless you can't ping from 98 either in which case the sygate software may be firewalling the ping?

Nigel Thomson
15-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Sygate server is running on the XP machine, when I have win98SE on the linux machine everything works fine but under linux neither machine can see the other I have tracked the error message down

modprobe error cant load eth0 no such device

this happens in the bootup, where can I find the log as I tried dmesg and i couldn't see it in there and I couldn't find a bootlog anywhere

This is a home Network and the system administrator would be my flatmate so there is nothing illegal going on. any way thanks for the help so far
Nigel

Ps why doesn't formatting seem to work on the forum

Graham L
15-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Aha. If you haven't got an eth0, you haven't got networking. :D

What is the model of the ethernet card?

ifconfig will give you a spiel about device lo0, which is the dummy loopback interface for localhost, 127.0.0.1 .

Linux is pretty good about ethernet cards ... so you might have a problem with another device grabbing the interrupt before the Ethernet card.

Try turning on PnP in the BIOS and boot to Linux ... W98 might fall over :D

If that works and the networking works you'll need to find out what is colliding, and use an append=" " in the lilo.conf to set appropriate non-colliding values for the ethernet card. (and reset PnP in the BIOS if you have to. Try W98 like this ... it might be OK, and if it works, just leave well alone :D.

patgade
15-07-2003, 04:15 PM
What kind of ethernet adaptor is it?

I've never used Vector Linux but I understand it is based on Slackware. I know Slackware's precompiled kernels come with a pretty minimal range of modules on the expectation that you will want to recompile it yourself after install. Not sure if the same is true of Vector.

Graham L
15-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Oops: turn off PnP in the BIOS. :D

ugh1
15-07-2003, 04:29 PM
> Nonsense.
>
> The server is a server. It doesn't need a
> router/forwarder/or bloody ICS to get access to it
> from a machine with a cable plugged into its hub. A
> linux client is a very good client. If it is given
> an IP address in the server's network, it will work.
>
>
> I assume that this is a "legal" connection. If the
> system administrator does not know about this you
> will have bigger problems than not being able to
> connect the Linux configuration. But if the box
> connects properly when it's being a W98, it will work
> when running Linux.

I read in the original post:

"The Windows Machine has to be the server, and the linux machine must log through it to get on the net."

That would imply what I said.

Nigel Thomson
15-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Here we go

>XP MACHINE

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jonny

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C900COMBO-based Ethernet Adapter (Generic)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-60-97-3A-BC-A0

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Xtra:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 210.54.75.126

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 210.54.75.126

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.27.184.3

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

>Win 98SE beastie

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : Nigel Thomson
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-AA-00-6F-DD-5F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 07 15 03 15:12:56
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

>And finally the LINUX side

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Well that is all the info i have

ps is there an unmount command in Linux? as my versiom didn't recognise it, when I tryed to unmount the floppy (it mounts OK)

Graham: thanksfor clearing up the Pnp thingie i will try it soonish,
where in bios do I turn it off
is it under
pnp and pci setup?
and do i turn off "Pnp OS"

Thanks Nigel

Graham L
15-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Right.

You will almost certainly have a module for the Intel card. That's a very well known card. But unless the module is loaded, it won't work. The error message you get from modprobe indicates that there is an alias in the /etc/modules.conf --- or /etc/conf.modules -- file (and I'm not sure whether it's "module" or "modules" :D). If the alias eth0 <blah> has the wrong name, it won't load it, because it won't like the foreign hardware. Or there isn't an alias :D.

Have a look down the /lib/modules/.. tree for network things. I think its called "eepro.o" but I'm not sure. If it's there try modprobe eepro. You might get lucky.

Then fix up the modules conf file or use the GUI wizard to set up the network stuff again ... you can probably, in a home system, just give yourself a fixed IP address say xxx.yyy.zzz.10 or so to keep away from the DHCP leases ... just in case.

Your formatting doesn't work because these pages are formatted by a Java system, and the magic delimiters are "[" and "]", not "<" and ">". :D See the Formatting Options above the "Your reply" window.

patgade
15-07-2003, 05:58 PM
I think the module for your card should be eepro.o and you should be able to check it exists by looking in
/lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/net

If it exists, you can test loading it by typing:
modprobe eepro

If that doesn't give an error, just add the following line to /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 eepro

Check there is no other alias eth0 line as well.

If that doesn't work you will have to go down the conflict resolution route as Graham is describing.

The unmount command should just be umount.

Regards

Patrick

Graham L
15-07-2003, 06:00 PM
PS: try this: grep "6F-DD-5F" -i /usr/log/messages . That might show you whether the card has ever been found. :D

Nigel Thomson
17-07-2003, 07:55 PM
I'm Back

the eepro.o appears to be in
/lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/net

but running modprobe eepro brings up a warning that it is dangerous to probe an ISA card, and tells me how to force the probe, tried that but still got errors
my card is an
intel
Erthernet 16 bit adaptor
E139761

I hope this helps

thanks for all the help so far

patgade
17-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi,

If its an ISA card, you may have to enter some resources manually. As you have win 98 installed, the easiest way to find these out is looking to device manager. If you bring up the properties for your network card you can record the ioport and the irq. you can then append these to the modprobe command as follows (copyed and pasted from the redhat 9 manual)

modprove eepro io=[io_port] irq=[IRQ]

Hope that helps.

Patrick