PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word 97

GeoffW
13-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi

Can anybody please tell me why when I go to close a word document on a computer running windows 2000 and office 97 it can take about a minite to close

Thank you

GeoffW

PS Defraging doesn't help

Jen C
13-07-2003, 07:08 PM
What are the specifications of your computer? Are you saving first before closing the document? What are the file sizes of these Word documents? Has this drawn out process just started happening and does it occur with other Office type files eg Excel or Powerpoint?

parry
13-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Do you have outlook installed?

http://www.multilinker.com/wordfaq/outlook.htm

Also, do you have findfast installed. If its in your startup folder give it the red card. Its supposed to speed up opening documents but slows things down terribly.

Susan B
13-07-2003, 09:02 PM
My memory is rather dim at the moment and I cannot find my notes on it but I had this problem a few years ago and it was due to the Office programs (Word, Excel, etc) logging changes to what's called a Journal which is part of the Office Suite.

I do not have the full Office 97 installed right now so I am not sure where to find it to disable this "feature" but you may find information in the Help files somewhere if it is the cause of your problem.

godfather
13-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Its in Microsoft Outlook (Tools - Options - General)

Chilling_Silently
13-07-2003, 09:16 PM
There are other "Incompatabilities" as such between Win2K and Office 97.

There may be patches for some things, such as (driving OT here..) when you open a document, it may come up saying another copy is already open..... Which you've probably seen...

There is a patch apparently that makes Office 97 more compatible with Win2K, so I would suggest you check around microsoft.com for downloads under Office97 and see what you can come up with.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.