PDA

View Full Version : Outlook default address

NIGGEL
13-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Hope somebody can help with this annoying problem. I use Outlook express 6.0 and have 2 e-mail addresses. I have marked the one that I want to use the most as 'default' but when I send mail it automatically uses the 'wrong' address unless I manually select the 'default' address. What is the point of the default setting and how can I make it use the right address for outgoing e-mail?

Susan B
13-07-2003, 02:39 PM
The default address should be sticking. Do you by any chance have a Signature automatically created with each new message? If so you may have the wrong address stored in there that could be overiding the normal default.

If not, try deleting both accounts after making note of their settings and add them back again ensuring that the one you want is picked for default.

NIGGEL
13-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a signature and have recently bought a new pc & started afresh but the problem persists. It seems that my adresses appear in alphabetical order and the top of the list is always used for outgoing mail regardless of the default setting.

Susan B
13-07-2003, 09:10 PM
It is a bit of a mystery why this is happening and quite frustrating I can imagine.

How about renaming your accounts so that the one you wish to be default is first in alphabetical order? Not the most ideal solution I know, but worth a try until someone else can offer better advice.

NIGGEL
14-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Susan. I have found a partial workaround by changing the return address of the 'wrong' account to the 'right ' account but there must be a better fix than that.

Susan B
14-07-2003, 08:49 PM
I agree that it should not be like that.

What version of Windows do you have?

Does your Outlook Express have just one Identity or are there others as well?

Merlin
15-07-2003, 12:04 AM
When using multiple email addresses, either:
Create separate identities

Then, open one identity
Enter pop3 and smtp details for both email hosts.
Use the same email address for both accounts.

Switch to the second identity
Enter pop3 and smtp details for both email hosts.
Use the second email address for both accounts.

Backup the Address Book and the current OE folder.

Open the Address Book
Share the message store (Tools > Options)

Open Outlook Express
Relocate the Store folder (Tools > Options > Maintenance > Message Store) Read and understand the prompt!

Logoff and restart Outlook Express.

Each identity now has it's own separate send/receive email address while sharing the address book and folders.
The only items not shared are the message rules since these are individual registry entries based on the separate identities.

or read some MS information (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216969)

Jim B
15-07-2003, 11:05 AM
It is not necessary to go to all that trouble to setup multiple addresses.

Outlook Express works perfectly well normally with multiple addresses setup on the one identity.
It is easy to select the address to send from by selecting it in the From field.

NIGGEL
15-07-2003, 09:36 PM
You are right but I want my 'From' address to be the default address so I don't have to remember to change the 'from' address every time I send an e-mail.

NIGGEL
15-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks Merlin I will try it out.

Jim B
15-07-2003, 10:10 PM
If selecting the account in the From address is too much trouble I don't see how having to select a new Identity is going to be any easier.

Obviously OE has got a setting locked into it and will not release it, to get it working again you may need to remove both mail accounts and set them up again.
It is not unusual to have to do this to fix problems with OE and this was suggested by Susan B early in the thread but you did not say if this was done.

Susan B
16-07-2003, 10:53 AM
It is not only Outlook Express that can behave like this. I use Eudora and when replying to emails I always have to watch which of my several accounts is listed in the From box. It always gets it right when creating a new message though.

But yes, deleting an account in Outlook Express and redoing it usually fixes problems. Make sure you delete both at the same time before re-entering though.