PDA

View Full Version : XP networking

amalmac
13-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I have a home network of three computers. The server is running XP Pro with the other running 98SE and 95B. I have Internet sharing enabled and it works just fine. I can ping the server from both other machines. On all machines each user have their own profile with password.
The problem is that I must have screwed the security settings and now you are unable to access the shared folders and printer on the server. When you try to access the server a 'Enter Network Password' requester pops up with "You must enter a password to make this connection: Resource: \\MOTHER\IPC$". When you enter the password that relates to the profile that you are using it says that it is incorrect. This happens even when the user has Administrator privileges. When you try to access the printer the same thing happens. Help!

jerry_23
13-07-2003, 08:57 PM
I dont know much, but I was at a LAN party the other day and learnt some pretty interesting things with regards to networks.

In short, one problem I had was fixed by uninstalling all of the protocols and reinstalling them from scratch using the wizard. I was even told by a technician there that sometimes, given the environment, not to use the wizard at all since it corrupts and tries to control things.

I didn't quite understand how, or why, but man, it worked.

Graham L
14-07-2003, 05:49 PM
It depends on which Wizard is at the top of the roster when you call them. You might get Gandalf, Saruman, or Sauron. :D

You must have user/password pairs set on the server XP machine (or a Guest account).

Try "XP network" in the PressF1 Search (button top of the page). Susan B's posting (about 8 down from the top might help).