PDA

View Full Version : CD- Rom not detected in BIOS

flying_green_leprachaun
13-07-2003, 12:04 PM
I recently Bought an old PC from work (Here is a very thorough breakdown of whats installed... 233kb html page (http://homepages.visp.co.nz/~fgl/Report.htm)) however it came without a CD.

I had an AOpen CD-952E/AKH sitting around. so I opened up the PC & plugged it in. Helpfully the inside of the box had a little diagram laying out what went where, the primary IDE channel goes to the HDD, which is set to master. no slave. The istructions in the box indicated that the CD should be set to master on the secondary IDE channel. Done.

hmm, but the Bios doesnt detect it.

So I removed the HDD from primary IDE channnel. & chucked the CD on the Primary.

Hmm detected in BIOS.

I did all this late last night, so I plan on seeing if the HDD is detected on the secondary IDE channel . If it is, is there any reason this might be a bad thing to do? Would it boot ok if the OS is on the other IDE channel?

Also any other Ideas of what may be the issue. (I seem to know just enough to get myself into trouble ;-))

The main reason I want to get the CD in is so I can install Linux.

tweak\'e
13-07-2003, 01:02 PM
you may have one of those early chipsets that had a bug on the 2nd ide so the bios didn't id the drive on it. i can never rember the fix for it :( try disbleing the ps2 port. otherwise simply use it with the cd and harddrive on ide1. once the os is installed you should be able to moc=ve the cdrom back to ide2 and normally (no idea with linux) it will work.

on a lot of these old ones i simply used to use the ide port on the sound card.

Graham L
13-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Try setting the CD drive as SLave. That sometimes works, when master doesn't. :D

flying_green_leprachaun
13-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Ive gone searching for an updated Bios to see if there was some weird confict with the firmware. & to ready it for a High Capacity HDD down the track

Will give the above suggestions a try

flying_green_leprachaun
13-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Experiment one.
HDD on primary IDE channel. I cant see any Master slave jumpers...

boots to Win98SE no probs.

Experiment 2.
HDD on primary IDE channel.
CD on Primary IDE channel set as slave.

BIOS no longer detects the HDD & the CD is as invisible as ever.

Experiment 3.
HDD on primary IDE channel. New Cable.

boots to Win98SE no probs.

Experiment 4.
HDD on primary IDE channel. New Cable.
CD on Primary IDE channel set as slave.

BIOS no longer detects the HDD & the CD is as invisible as ever.
As Both cables are now tested as working. Ill move exclude them from testing. (I think I may need to test the CD is actually working on another Machine)

More news at 11 - & any further hints gratefully accepted

flying_green_leprachaun
13-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Although could anyone explain why it no longer detects the harddrive if the HDD & the CD are both on the came channel?

flying_green_leprachaun
14-07-2003, 01:23 PM
^
|
Bump

tweak\'e
14-07-2003, 01:35 PM
have you tried setting the drives ide settings in the bios rather than useing "AUTO" ?

flying_green_leprachaun
14-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I did initially, but not in a logical way. that will be my next step this evening.

As well as testing the CD-Rom in another Machine, just to make sure its not fried at all.

Doesnt seem like there are too many options after, that... :-(

Graham L
14-07-2003, 05:05 PM
If the HD is jumpered by default as "CS", and you are using a standard IDE cable, any other device will certainly foul up the HD's selection. If the HD is CS and you are using a CS cable (which has one fewer wire between one pair of connectors) I'm not sure what will happen if the CD is not jumpered for CS. :D

Did you try the CD on the secondary IDE, jumpered as SL?

flying_green_leprachaun
16-07-2003, 12:42 PM
no Joy on secondary IDE jumpered Slave

however jumperd "CS" <whatever that is> I get This, please forgive the crappy photo skills (http://homepages.visp.co.nz/~fgl/main/PC_SCREEN01.jpg)

Yay. Now to test a Bootable CD in my newly discovered CD...

Oh great guru Graham, I thank thee ;-)

flying_green_leprachaun
16-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Hmmm, no boot :-/

More testing tonight <sigh>

Graham L
16-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Interesting. I've been playing with a PC3000 (P166, 2110 MB Quantum --similar . I wonder if that's a CS too).

It wouldn't boot from a CD either. I've wondered if it's too old a CD drive because the BIOS allows it as an option. As well, after booting from a floppy to install mandrake 9.0, it has stopped recognising the Mandrake CD. It will read from other CDs. :-(

I've just got the new APC magazine. It has Debian Linux 3.0 on the CDs. That has some floppy images, and RAWRITE2 to write them to floppies. The "SRM" one is quite clever. It boots a cutdown Linux, which gives you a menu, one of the options is to boot from a CD. That is going to be useful.

CS = Cable Select. It has one wire cut in the cable, so that one drive sees the line, and the other doesn't. The one with the wire is master, the other is Slave. Or the other way around. :D Sometimes the cable is installed the centre connector to the motherboard. It should be marked for the master/slave ends. If it's not, use a feltpen for the future.

flying_green_leprachaun
16-07-2003, 11:43 PM
well My CD drive is pretty new. So... not much new info im afraid.

My skill with Linux being poor to none (actually the reason I aquired this machine)

I'll look thru the CD's I have, as for no good reason I downloaded several flavours of linux (I'll boot on my main machine in Knoppix & see what I can see about these "useful" boot floppies.

fingers crossed ;-)

fgl

Graham L
17-07-2003, 05:55 PM
All Linux distributions allow for making boot floppies to start the installation. RedHat actually give you a batch file on the CD which you run, which uses a DOs programme to load the installation kernel. Debian is the only one I've come across with this SRM image file, which I suspect would boot any bootable CD.

Look (with DOS/Windows) around the first CD of any distibution. You'' find a DOSUTILS directory, and an IMAGES one with the image files. Rawrite works well ... but always scandisk/surface scan any floppies you are going to use. It requires perfect floppies, and there is no error check9ing in the DOS write code. You just get a floppy which won't boot. Sometimes you get an "Error 10" which indicates a bad floppy.

flying_green_leprachaun
25-07-2003, 06:46 PM
ok, even tho its the first week back, ive been slugging away for 30 mins to an hour a night. No luck, I cant seem to get the beast to boot.

Any Pointers to acquiring a Linux distro on a floppy So I can test under a different operating system