PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot to windows 98?

Anthony
13-07-2003, 10:11 AM
I have a compaq presario 5673 desktop, intel celeron 466mhz with 256mb Ram. I completed a system restore with the disk supplied, but when the computer starts it says "Load Error, press any key to reload". However when I press any key the same message appears. I have tried using the windows 98 startup disk without any success and have even downloaded a new windows boot disk from bootdisk.com, but that disk will not run. Can anyone tell me how to boot the system back to windows, or even the dos prompt again. My startup disk seems to have stopped working now for some reason and I am unable to get the dos prompt.

Robby
13-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Gidday Anthony,

I restored a freinds laptop just yesterday 98se and had a similiar problem, although the error message was different.

it worked eventualy, when I put the restore disc in the cd rom, and turned the computer off at the wall. Waited 30 secs, turned it back on, and started the computer. it ran the restore disc, and booted fine after that.

Could be worth a go,

cheers,

Robby

beama
13-07-2003, 10:56 AM
the boot disks from bootdisk.com need to be unpacked, cant remember if they are downloaded as a zip or self extracting file. Also when you say " I have tried using the windows 98 startup disk without any success" do you mean that you were unable to boot into windows. My question relating to this is, were you able to boot to a dos session using this boot disk ? ie after booting with the win 98 boot disk did you get the A:\ prompt.
Another question, when you boot with a 98 startup disk it creates what is known as a RAM disk, which is a virtual disk stored in the ram of the machine, what drive letter was allocated to this RAM disk?
please post back