PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98SE won't shutdown

Warren
13-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Good morning everyone,
I fully formatted my wifes PC on friday and everything was going well right to the end when it decided not to shutdown at all.

i have a new copy of Win 98se,Norton Security 2003,logtech camera software and kodak easyshare for the Digital.

I have tried all sorts of things like going to MSCONFIG and deselecting them from the startup group but nothing is going right .

Um...have done a windows update too

Is Internet Security the Problem ?
Seemed to start only after i loaded that ..

Susan B
13-07-2003, 10:42 AM
> Um...have done a windows update too

With all of the updates?? There are quite a few of them and one is for the shutdown problem. Though it does sound like Internet Security could be the culprit in this case, if the problem started after loading that. Maybe disable it for a while and see if things improve?

Warren
13-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks Susan
Might try that
Just seems to be funny that it has just started it now after the format.
We have been running Internet security for a month with no real problems but the reason i formatted it was problems with it starting in 800x600 mode instead of 1024 x768 and it was hanging at shutdown .
Internet security might have had something to do with it .
Might check out the Symantec site to see if there is anything in there about shutdown problems

beama
13-07-2003, 11:03 AM
I would check the microsoft knowledge base also. 98 se is known in some cases to have a shut down problem, there is a patch file somewhere on the microsoft site for this.
Also try pressing ctrl alt del keys once see what processes are running this may give you a clue to the culprit.
Good luck

Warren
13-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Just to give you more info
I have tried the patch with no joy
Just tried to shutdown during safe mode and that worked ok .
When it restarts after trying to shutdown it goes to scan disk and tells me windows wasn't shutdown properly .
Hmmm....might format again and try to shutdown after loading each program
I'm banging my head against the wall at the moment and the other half is giving me lots of grief

godfather
13-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Make sure you apply all the drivers for Video, Audio, I/O chipset etc after the reformat.
The default Windows ones are not always the best, you need the ones specific to your motherboard.

Warren
13-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Cheers Godfather
i had loaded all the proper drivers last time but might do things a bit differently this time.
One of the problems last time was an updated driver for the TNT 2 from Nvidia
This situation has got me buggered and the best suloution might be to start all over again.
Good having the LAN to save files to other PCs though

Graham L
13-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Check the BIOS power management options. :D