PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing new software

Andrew B
12-07-2003, 11:15 AM
I am trying to install a CD Rom that came with a Lets Learn French book. The minimum system requirements for it are: 386SX processor, MS Windows 3.1 or higher and MS Windows 95 compatable. I have a Celeron 600, 128 MB RAM, 70% full 10 Gig HD, Win ME. But on trying to install I get an error message 'Insufficient memory or disc space'. I emailed the book's publishers and received a very helpful reply with instructions on how to install it on Win XP system. So I emailed them back to tell them again that I had Win ME and I have just received a reply telling me that their technical dept say that the XP instructions should work with ME, but it doesn't. Is there any way this CD ROM will work on my computer?

godfather
12-07-2003, 11:24 AM
I have no knowledge of the software, but its obviously quite old.

I wonder if the error relates to the amount of memory free in the "DOS" block below 640k, as it sounds like early 16 bit DOS software.

If it can run under XP, its promising (as XP has no DOS only a DOS emulator) but it may require a lot of fiddling under Windows ME.

Old 16 bit software can be troublesome under ME, as it causes resource allocation problems.

Captive
12-07-2003, 11:30 AM
One possible solution is to emulate a machine.

I agree with godfather that running software this old could cause troubles and in severe cases may cause system file damage or data file damage. Exact occurances of this will vary.

I myself would recommend Vmware or PC Anywhere to run a virtual machine. Or perhaps use an older hard disk with an older version of windows.

I understand you want to use it with Windows ME. That in some ways is trying to fit Old parts to a car. As i have stated may cause more problems than its worth

Good luck with trying to get it to work if you want to. I would recommend a backup before attempting any major changes just to be sure.

Andrew B
12-07-2003, 11:06 PM
bump

Susan B
13-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Have the book publishers not got a more up-to-date version of the CD that you are trying to install? You ought to have more luck with one that is more recent than the Windows 3.1/95 copy.

I have a program made for Window 3.1 that cannot be installed on Win 95, never mind Win XP, which is quite a shame because it is a really good program, but that is software and computers for you. :-(

Kiwitas
13-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Andrew B,

I think you will find the problem is that you still have so much space on your hard drive and the CD doesnt know where to put it?
I have had the same problem with an old app and found that one way to overcome prob,is to create a partition just a little larger than the contents of the CD!

I know it sounds crazy,but in some cases it works!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)