PDA

View Full Version : Bugbare Virus

Craigb
12-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi all
Opened my e-mail this morning and low and behold, a strange e-mail with an attachment. Suspicions roused I went searching on google and tried to go to the website direct (from: bulletinboad@3way.co.nz) but nothing. Did a right click and properties and among the details was a message from xtra that they had deleted a virus PE_BUGBEAR.DAM from the letter.

What I'm wondering is how it got my e-mail address as it's my OutLook one which is not one that could be guessed at random. Could it have come from someone I usually correspond with via OutLook?

Cheers
Craigb

Captive
12-07-2003, 11:55 AM
While I am no virus expert I will outline something which i believe to be the case.

1. A person infected with the virus may have your email address
2. The virus then tries to look anonymous and adds those fake glasses you get for those old kids magazines to disguise yourself. In modern trends known as a false email address.
3. You write this email
4. I reply

Susan B
12-07-2003, 12:08 PM
> Could it have come from someone I usually correspond with via OutLook?

That is more than likely. I have had at least three dodgy-looking emails complete with attachments in the past couple of days to one account that only close friends and family know and another to an account which is fairly new but has over a hundred contacts in it.

In my case someone with me in their address book obviously has a virus but I have no idea who. AVG has picked nearly all of them up as they arrive and the ones that don't set AVG's alarm bells ringing get the index finger salute.