PDA

View Full Version : Maximim

Annanz
12-07-2003, 01:46 AM
Quite sure I read somewhere that the maximum amount of Partitions that was advisable was 4. Is this actual fact all would it be ok to have 5 Partitions and not harm the performance of the Hard Drive???

Would like to have separate Partition for my Swap files. This is the lay out would like to have

Intend to have Windows XP on C Drive, Swap file Partition on D, Games on E, Apps on F and Media Files on G

Gorela
12-07-2003, 02:11 AM
The limit of four partitions cannot be exceeded. What you can do is create an "Extended Partition" which can then be divided further. So based on your requirements you could create a XP partition, a swap partition and an extended partition. Then create "Logical" partitions in the extended partition for the E, F and G "drives".

To do this you would need to use fdisk prior to installing Windows or as the article states use a program like Partition Magic. The second link works like a charm :)

Elephant
12-07-2003, 10:21 AM
You can do what you want with using TWO partitions.

One partition being Primary and drive c:

One partition being Extended and containing four logical drives.

What you probably remember hearing is that you can't have more than four Primary partitions.

Captive
12-07-2003, 11:52 AM
There is slight complexity here i just wanted to mention.

With typical file systems which are being mentioned here I there is a 4 virtual unit limit.

Primary and extended if i recall correctly will count as one item each where as logical is inside of extended and isnt constrained to the 4 virtual unit limit as afaik it resides inside of the extended partition.

Also note that typically with 9x there is 1 Primary partition limit and 2 primary partition limit with nt. Although perhaps i am a bit rusty and need to some more reading *shrug*

tweak\'e
12-07-2003, 12:20 PM
easy way to get around all that is to simply not use fdisk. i think ranish supports 30 odd partions.

Captive
12-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Thats kind of interesting in 1 dirve letter is equal to one partition