PDA

View Full Version : alcatel speedtouch pro setup help

sam m
11-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Is anyone using this modem on XP Pro? I bought this modem 2nd hand and I do have the manual but I am struggling to understand it. I was wondering if anyone could assist in a step by step process so I can set this up. It is a 4 port but I am only interested in setting up one computer to it. I also would like it setup so that when the computer is on and the modem is switched on then I am automatically connected.

thanks
sam m

godfather
11-07-2003, 04:55 PM
I use one of these, without the in-built hub.
Mine is never disconnected.

I assume you can browse to it on 10.0.0.138?

In my case, just setting the User and Password under PPP was all that was required.

Remember to take the link down before applying the changes, then taking it back up afterwards is required.

Default configurations should be fine otherwise.
Certainly this was all that I needed to do. Manual? - never opened it...

Graham L
11-07-2003, 05:06 PM
If your model has four ports (that is, an included hub) you just need a standard "Cat5" cable to connect your computer. Not a "crossover" cable... I think DSE put red boots (protective covers ... more like puttees than boots :D) on the plugs of their crossover cables, and it's either blue or black on the straight through ones.

Just plug in the cmputer, and without the phoneline connected, see if you can browse to the box as godfather says.

sam m
13-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks for help guys,
Got it working ok.
Found out that I had IP address and DNS settings in LAN from my old Nokia.
Simply made those "obtain automatically" and browsed to 10.0.0.138 and was able to follow the info you suppled.
Thanks again.