PDA

View Full Version : PF1 FAQs

Winston001
10-07-2003, 04:59 PM
For the last couple of weeks, (as a newbie) I have been trying to access the FAQs. I thought this seemed a good way of building up knowledge rather than bothering members with questions which might have been asked in the past.

Anyway no go on the FAQs - any of them. They time out and nothing opens.

Help.

Winston001

godfather
10-07-2003, 05:05 PM
They work for me.
Its probably too cold down in Invertarctica region, the data packets are freezing before you can open them?

Jim B
10-07-2003, 05:13 PM
There does appear to be something wrong with loading of FAQ's using dialup.
They will eventually display but they take an awful long time.

tweak\'e
10-07-2003, 05:20 PM
its proberly the server having a job searching threw the list to find those posts. the faq's are links to the posts, some of which are old and buried under heaps of new posts so it proberly take a while for the server to go find em.

Jim B
10-07-2003, 05:31 PM
I think they need to be changed so they don't have to link to the posts as most people would give up the way they are rather than wait for several minutes for them to load.

Winston001
11-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Ho ho ho Godfather.

Actually there is a real advantage to the cold - we get superconductivity as opposed to the warmer latitudes. Electrons actually like frigid wire to bustle through.

However today the liquid hydrogen frost seems to have lifted this morning so I guess we'll have a slow one.........

Cheers
Winston001

Terry Porritt
11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Having diverted into temperatures, it rather gets up my delicate nose that announcers, even weather experts, talk about hot and cold temperatures.

Temperature is a scale of measurement, that scale is neither hot nor cold.

Temperatures can only be numeric, it is acceptable to talk of high or low temperatures, bit not hot or cold. The weather can be said to be hot or cold or temperate.

It's another example of sloppy colloquiallism and poor education changing the language.

I'm being very pedantic this morning aren't I ? :)

-=JM=-
11-07-2003, 12:46 PM
That is a good point Terry. The "hot" and "cold" can only be determined by the person actually experiencing the temperature at the time and what they think of it.

Susan B
16-07-2003, 12:27 PM
I think this problem needs to be addressed by the forum administrators because as Jim B has pointed out, if people encounter a long delay in a FAQ page loading they are going to give up waiting and not bother again.

Ideally Bruce and co. will be able to promote the FAQ links into the future (similar to the forum's time :D) or something like that, but if that is not possible the FAQs will have to be redone/reposted every now and then. They are needing a good tidy up right now anyway and should probably be regularly revised so maybe now is a good time to do it?

Any volunteers?? :-)

Odin
16-07-2003, 05:23 PM
I have been trying to access the FAQ as well today just to see what has already been answered. However after clicking on one and waiting I decided to reboot and try again.

I washed all my dishes, made another cup of coffee and some toast and the message still hadn't loaded - conclution - They still don't work ;-)

Thomas
16-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Robo is your man;)Or maybe like the parrot he is just resting.;)

Biggles
17-07-2003, 10:17 AM
OK - checking it out. Definately a problem.