PDA

View Full Version : Locked out of various settings

kurgon
10-07-2003, 05:43 AM
Good day - I recently downloaded the free copy of AVG. Following this I tried to access windows update but was told I needed an administrators password. This is my home pc and does not have an administrator. When I looked at the user account there was one that had just appeared labelled avg account. I have rn all programs I know to look for spyware, adware, trojans, viruses all to no avail.It has left me with an inability to access same. I then tried to do a system restore - would not let me saying nothing had been added - then tried to repair from cd - stated that I needed the administrators password to do this - I do not have this password as it has never been created.My OS is xp home - I am completely stumped and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jen C
10-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi kurgon

Can I just clarify a few points?

- For Windows XP there has to be at least one administrator account. Did your everyday account have admin rights? If there was only ever one user account (yours) then that should of had full admin rights. What does the current status of your account show you as?

- Have you been able to access Windows Update before without problems?

- This new AVG user account that has suddenly appeared (very strange thing to happen!), what sort of user rights does it have? If general user, have you tried removing it?

- System Restore - how far back did you look for a restore point? Also, if you are able to access System Restore, you must be a admin user.

- when prompted for a admin password, did you try leaving it blank and hitting enter?

- Have you actually installed the AVG program? This itself should of created an automatic check point by System Restore.

Cheers
Jen :)

kurgon
10-07-2003, 11:57 PM
I presume that I had administrator rights as there was only one account - I am not sure how to check current settings.I have been able to access windows update before without any problems.I am sure that the new account was a general one and I deleted it without any problems but this has not resolved anything.As far as the sysem restore, I ahve put various programs on my comp and have gone as far back as 1 month. It goes through the motions - where it set a restore point and indicated that a program had been added, it then comes up and states that unable to restore to this point as no program added!!Yes, I have tried leaving it blank..and yes the program was installed.It's all very strange and I am caught at the moment between throwing the ##** thing out of the window and doing a complete reboot - that's if it lets me.

Jen C
11-07-2003, 07:48 PM
> I presume that I had administrator rights as there
> was only one account - I am not sure how to check
> current settings.

Go into Control Panel > User Accounts. Under your name should be "Computer Adminstrator"

>I have been able to access windows
> update before without any problems.

Have a look at this Windows Update Troubleshooter (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/) - you will need to scroll right down until you see "When trying to use the Windows Update Web site you receive an "Administrator Only" error message (Windows XP)

>I am sure that the
> new account was a general one and I deleted it
> without any problems but this has not resolved
> anything.

Still pretty weird AVG made itself a user ....??

>As far as the sysem restore, I ahve put
> various programs on my comp and have gone as far back
> as 1 month. It goes through the motions - where it
> set a restore point and indicated that a program had
> been added, it then comes up and states that unable
> to restore to this point as no program added!!

Do you have Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed for XP? You can check this by going into Control > System > General Tab. It should say under System, Service Pack 1. This included some patches for System Restore.

What happens if you go back more than one month?

Also have a look at this How can I verify that the System Restore services are running on my computer? (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/administration/systemrestore/default.asp#A) and also this How can I verify that the Task Scheduler is running on my computer? (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/administration/systemrestore/default.asp#B)

>Yes, I
> have tried leaving it blank..and yes the program was
> installed.It's all very strange and I am caught at
> the moment between throwing the ##** thing out of the
> window and doing a complete reboot - that's if it
> lets me.

You certainly have a variety of problems all at once. Try getting Windows Update sorted out and the System Restore working again and then see where that leaves you before trying a Windows Repair.

Post back with how you get on. :)

Jen