PDA

View Full Version : Sending RAM by post.

Caesius
10-07-2003, 12:31 AM
What is the safest way to send RAM in the post. I've heard of anti static bags, what are they and where can you buy them from. Other than that any recomendations?

Cheers

Elephant
10-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Well I have heaps of anti statics bags here but I have never actually bought one.

If you are packaging a RAM stick or two to send to someone I suggest you visit the local post office and get a cardboard container with bubble wrap inside and send it.

You could visit your local computer shop and ask for a bag.

RAM when it comes wholesale comes in plastic trays.

It is more likely to be damaged by fingers touching the gold coloured pins when pulling the RAM in and out rather than static.

Mike
10-07-2003, 07:31 PM
> It is more likely to be damaged by fingers touching
> the gold coloured pins when pulling the RAM in and
> out rather than static.

wow that's the first time I've heard anyone brave enough to say that :) Static can be a big killer of RAM, and to be honest I've heard of more people damaging their RAM due to static discharge than through fingering the "pins"

Mike.

Steve Askew
11-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Go into your local PC shop, I'm sure they would be more than happy tp give you an anti-static bag as most of them end up in the bin

cheers Steve

Graham L
11-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Static destroys sensitive components by getting in through the connector pins (whether they are gold or tin plated). If you hold the memory modules by the edges of the unit, the static of your hot fingers won't get in. If you rub your fingers over the row of connectors, and you have the right conditions for you to be a few kV high, you are going to have an amnesia attack. My rule is: "Don't touch the connectors. Ever." It's commonsense, really. It's amazing how scarce that is. :D

If I haven't got an antistatic bag, I often wrap sensitive parts in aluminium foil. It's quite OK, but you have to be careful if the parts have pins rather than edge connectors. Bending the pins is the problem here.

Dylan
11-07-2003, 06:56 PM
lol my physical teacher destroyed his graphics card though a static discharge. he could "feel himself getting discharged" when he touched the circuitry.

iroically enough we were learning about electro statics ;)

Garibaldi
11-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Getta bitta rigid foam such as is used in fridges and wrap it in foil. Stick the pins into it to protect them then wrap the lot in soft foam (or soft plastic sponge) & tape together. Pack the lot well to protect from the gentle touch of your postal service. Never, not nohow, touch the pins. Good luck