PDA

View Full Version : Converting Audio bit-rates

Mantis
09-07-2003, 10:06 PM
Can anyone tell me how or with what program I can convert 24-bit audio wav files to 16-bit wav files, none of my software supports 24-bit audio...

I'm running WIN ME if this matters?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Mantis

vk_dre
09-07-2003, 10:13 PM
U could use Cool Edit Pro v2, thats wot i use, but it does cost a bit of cash.

cheers,
v.K

parry
09-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Cool Edit is superb software alright. You may be able to get a shareware/freeware program that might do this for you. Try searching google with keywords like "audio edit freeware" or combo's of the like. Also try some shareware sites like www.tucows.com and you may have some luck.

Mantis
10-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Thanks for your help, I have a trial version of cool edit from a magazine cd that I will install and hopefully convert my wav files....

Just wondering.....

When I convert 16-bit audio to 8-bit audio with my current software, the 8-bit conversion plays (alot) slower than the 16-bit... If I convert my wav files from 24-bit to 16-bit with cool edit, is there a way to make the 16-bit wav playback or sound like the original 24-bit wav?

Again thanks for any help....

Mantis.

parry
10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Hi Mantis, according to the help within CE

Convert Sample Type... F11

This function converts the sample rate, bit rate, and channel format of an audio file thatís currently loaded in Cool Edit Pro into a new format type (such as 44 kHz/16-bit/stereo to 22 kHz/8-bit/mono). Unlike Edit > Adjust Sample Rate, Convert Sample Type directly processes the samples within the file, or re-samples the data, so that the audio retains the same pitch and duration as the original file.

So in the Edit Menu, select Convert Sample Type rather than Adjust Sample Rate.

hth

Chilling_Silently
10-07-2003, 10:58 AM
If you goto Goldwave.com and download Goldwave, it will allow you to do a batch conversion of audio files as well, converting from multiple types, all to the one specified output format.

Couldnt be better :-)