PDA

View Full Version : USB Modem and Linux

Evan
09-07-2003, 08:49 PM
I know it is easier to get linux to work with external modems than internal win modems, but does this include USB modems?

godfather
09-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Probably not.
I am not a linux guru, but USB modems are generally winmodems with the extra overhead of USB interface.

External serial (RS232) modems are real hardware modems that are usualy linux friendly

Dolby Digital
10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Are you considering purchasing one, or do you have one in your hot little hand?

Evan
11-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Purchase one

Dolby Digital
11-07-2003, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't recommend it then unless you buy one from DSE try it and then 7 days later, in utter frustration, take it back. :D

Seriously, actually you could do a search (if you haven't already done so) for that model of modem and Linux.

mikebartnz
14-07-2003, 02:57 AM
I would go with Godfather on this one. If you have a geriactric PC an ISA modem is also a full hardware modem.

Murray P
14-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Be aware though that, not all ISA madems are hardware modems. Many require software/cpu time Lucent (Agere) controllerless modems for eg.

Check out Modem Help, chipset index (http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/index.html) for a comprehensive list.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
14-07-2003, 05:16 PM
The Linux people document this problem extensively. Look for the HOWTO documentation. It's all on every distribution CD set. It's online everywhere. There are HOWTOs on modems, winmodems, "linmodems". The Hardware one is a good guide to what works. But always try "linux make_and_model_of_this_thing" to google. Add "problems" , or "supported". (The printers support list has a category "Paperweight". :D)

The simple rule is: Any modem other than a REAL modem has to have software to get around its deficiencies. REAL modems work.

Because so many "Winmodems" were put into boxes (because they are CHEAP, the clever people made some of the most common ones work. They'll never work as well as a real modem.

USB is only recently supported in Linux. Look at the problems put up here that people have with USB devices in MS Windows. USB was designed by Intel in collusion with Microsoft, and has been "supported" since W95. Think about it.

bmason
14-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Its only external serial and ISA modems that are real anymore. The price of a serial one shouldn't be much more than a USB.

The USB ones are actually worse than the internal PCI ones because they have a much higher processor requirement.

If you are on a budget (or don't have serial ports) the rockwell/connexant based ones are quite well supported and are being actively maintained (the drivers are actually more upto date than the windows ones).