PDA

View Full Version : Microphone won't work

summertime
09-07-2003, 05:27 PM
I have downloaded msn 6. When I use Audio wizard I can get sound from my speakers but I cannot get my microphone to work. I have just purchased a new mike but it won't go either. Both microphones were plugged into the correct outlet at the back of the computer. Am operating Win98 SE. Any suggestions please?

parry
09-07-2003, 06:00 PM
See if the sound is muted. Double click on the Volume icon in your system tray and see if Line In (or any others) have the mute checkbox ticked.

summertime
09-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the help Parry. The mute button is not checked. I am still unable to record my voice. When I checked to see that the mute button was not checked I found that I could not adjust the slider under the microphone heading to alter the balance ..is this significant?

Terry Porritt
09-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Another thing to check: Open the volume controls, click on Options-Properties, click on Recording 'radio button' and check that there is a tick in the Mic box, if not that could be where the problem lies. You may also need to select the Mix box in the Record Control window.

Bazza
09-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi Summertime:
Maybe the response has resolved your problem. If not this maybe helpful to you, and others. Win95/98 has two "mixers" for sound as follows:
Play control - this controls the inputs,& levels of the sound from your pc speakers.(in this you need to "mute" any unwanted inputs, e.g. mic, to avoid feedback when recording). However to initially test the mic, temporarily unchecking the mic mute here will feed the mic to the speakers.

Record control - this controls the inputs & levels of the sound to record to a recorder program, or transmit using online phone & talk programs.(in this you need to "select" the wanted input, e.g. mic when recording)
Both need to be setup, depending on what you want to do. Have a look at this site.

http://www.quasar.ualberta.ca/edpy202/tutorial/audio-win/audio-mike-win.htm

Goodluck.

effie C
09-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi Summertime,
you have hit a sore spot - Smithie 38 and I have been frustrated about this for a week or so - and get nowhere
I an get sound to my speakers and can watch as the bar graph jumps up - I tap and it does the same - an incoming e mailk shows a coloured slide bar graph , for a split second- so I have sound all I want - now try and get it to send to the other party - no way jose!
I have used this facility before - on v5 msn and then it stopped even before I installed v6- some where there is a setting we are all missing
by the way I tried that site and it is not available on the net
effie c

Bazza
09-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Sorry Effie: The site is available, but somehow the url I pasted for that site got some 'spaces' placed in it. I believe it sometimes happens on PF1 posts. Thats why it did not work for you.

Not much more I can do, unless you care to enter the url, with no spaces.

Here it is again:

http://www.quasar.ualberta.ca/edpy202/tutorial/audio-win/audio-mike-win.htm

BTW, have you & Summertime got the mic "selected" in the record control?

effie C
09-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi Bazza,
No luck I am afraid and as this problem won't go away - Smithie 38 and I have just spent the last hour with summertime and your posts in front of us and still no success- for what it is worth the invite to speak sent to sic,. Smithie lasts on the window perhaps 10 seconds then says the contact cannot be made, suggesting it is in msn (central)? so to speak - or else it is in the computer settings and only God knows where>
Your site - would you care to tell me where the gaps are as [per your comment and I will enter it manually, or could you send it e mail to chibnall@xtra.co.nz- not sure if that is a good idea to put this on th epage
effie c

godfather
09-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Properly formatted, here is the link (http://www.quasar.ualberta.ca/edpy202/tutorial/audio-win/audio-mike-win.htm)

You cannot insert links that wordwrap in the input window. Full instructions are in formatting options on the reply page

Bazza
09-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Thankyou Goddie: Thats better. Much appreciated. Now I'll know for any long url's in future.

I hope it may be some help for Summer & Effie.

effie C
09-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi Godfather,
sorry but I have all that showing in that site- I can record sound and replay it ---

BUT try and send that sound sic., voice to the outside world----not a show-- so none of the comments on that site give the answer

Any more help would be very very gladly accepted
As I said earlier - I have succesfully chatted to say Ashburton ( from Hamilton) and in Hamilton itself - using msn v5 - long since,then that ceased and even installing v6 has not helped.
And so help me I ain't fiddled !!!!-it just ceased!!!
effie c

godfather
09-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Sorry I cant help, never use voice over internet (or plan to) but I would comment that the location of the other person is irrelevant in general.

Once its on the internet (and server) its usually immaterial where the parties are located in the world.

Its more likely a port blocking issue to do with the new software, or something equally esoteric.

Terry Porritt
10-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Drat, the C and X keys are next door to each other, in my posting for Mix read Mic, it makes a world of difference :)

effie C
10-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi Terry Porritt, see my reply to godfather above my last post - yes I gathered the mic was what you wanted - but as I say I have been there and have mic sound at my speakers- all I want for xmas is to be able to send that sound as I have done, previously- but now the gremilins are stopping me
effie c

effie C
10-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi Godfather - you must have a good brain old son!
You spoke of ports etc- I went in and ticked proxy enable and the word port came up - I went to that help and was directed to a website and from there to a download site which says"msn requires correcting"- this is in an overview that I now send and recommend reading - I am downloading direct X v 9 ( 54 minutes - but gamble though it be -your port comment gives a new start
The situation otherwise appears at a stalemate!-
Summertime - you try and see for youself

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A19BED22-0B25-4E5D-A584-6389D8A3DAD0&displaylang=en
effie c

godfather
10-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi effie c

Not sure the brain is up to that much, its probably older than yours!

Your link above will not work (word wrap) so try this link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A19BED22-0B25-4E5D-A584-6389D8A3DAD0&displaylang=en)

Hasn't DX9 been on magazine cover CD's?

Good luck. You will win.

effie C
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi godfather, I am told age is a state of mind - well if that be so where do I find my mind- it sure as hell is not getting a definitive answer yet.
I had downloaded from that site you gave before ( this gap or whatever with F1 is a pain) and regardless of the ability to correct msn etc - it didn't!
Nothing seriously different shows after the download- it appears installed but does not show in "programs"-I went into files and worked from there but no satisfactory result.
To recap -
your "port" comment sent me after that site- it did admit to errors in msn but did not show what errors would be corrected. i e sound sent to a recipient.
I am run aground so speak - now what? any ideas- I have no doubt there are others in this predicament
As to DX9 being on a mag cover- perhaps, but the inference I was looking at was the correction of msn v6 faults, and as v6 has only just appeared perhaps the mag was irrelevant
Remember I have succesfully used v5 , until it spontaneously ceased transmitting voice - long before v6 came up, so once again - it must be in my puta!
effie c

Terry Porritt
10-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Well. I cant use MSN Messenger audio/video with Win98SE and a Dynalink, apparently according to MS, Universal Plug and Play should be enabled, but to do that I would have to install windows XP. I am more than happy at the moment with Win 98SE.

I installed Yahoo Messenger and had sound and video with no problems at all.
So on that basis I dont think very much of MS Messenger, it has obviously been designed so as not to work in Win98 (with router) with the object of getting people to upgrade to XP.

That I would say is absolutely typical of MS.

Now any of the above may or may not apply to your situation Effie, but why not consider giving Yahoo Messenger a go?

Terry Porritt
10-07-2003, 03:07 PM
should be.....and a Dynalink router,........