PDA

View Full Version : norton scan outgoing mail

hasco
09-07-2003, 12:40 PM
When i first log on the norton outgoing e mail check for virus' logo comes up and says it is checking an outgoing E -mail .
Trouble is i never have any mail in my draft and/or outbox folder to send
so where is this mail coming from?
Then when i check the sent box there is no sign of any mail having been sent!
I run mail washer but don't use the bounce facility and have run ad aware ,spybot and the Norton scan.They all show a squeaky clean system. Any ideas on whats happening?
Cheers
Rick
xp pro ,o/express Norton 2002 ,all updated.

stu140103
09-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Are you sure it is not incoming mail????

hasco
09-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Yep, absoloodle positive.Definitely says "...........is scanning your outgoing mail........"
Rick

Jim B
09-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Why not disable the Outgoing mail scan option, you don't really need that and it does cause problems at times as it can put messages into the sent items even though the message has not actually been sent.

rodb
09-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Further to the post by Jim B
If you have OE set to disconnect after sending/receiving, the outward mail checking by Norton triggers the disconnect and the mail does not get sent.
Disable outward mail checking, but make sure your system is clean.

roofus
09-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Sorry Jim B i don't agree with your comments re: scanning outgoing mail.
If outgoing mail was scanned there wouldn a lot less email viri in the world.

For me my ISP does the scan on incomming and i have nortons perform the outgoing.

Pauline
09-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Hi,
I agree with Jim B & rodb. If you keep your antivirus up to date & scan incoming mail then your computer should be clean so then you won't be sending out bad mail.
I also had problems with Norton's & the scanning of outgoing mail & it would take ages to send.
Pauline.

hasco
10-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the advice so far but i may not of explained myself properly.
I know how to disable the norton scanner for out going mail but what i'd like to know is why my system is sending out an e-mail at log in when i don't have any mail needing to be sent.It is only because norton is scanning the mail that i know that a mail is being dispatched.
Seeing that there is no sign of any outgoing mail in my 'sent' folder is there maybe a hidden log file somewhere where i could at least see what this mail is about and/or the address?
For some reason my system is sending an e-mail at every start up for no reason i can discern,to who knows who.
Thanks again
Rick

PoWa
10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
You've probably got a keylogger installed or something similiar, which is emailing off every keystroke you have typed to some email address. Those type of programs make sure you can't tell if the email was sent or not.

I'm not sure how you would get rid of the keylogger if that was the case. Usually the process is hidden from ctrl+alt+del etc. I think there are programs which show all the services running//

Either that, or nortons might be playing up.

BuzzEbee
10-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Try using both an Adware remover and a trojan remover.

Pheonix
10-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Run Spybot search&destroy from here (http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download) and a trial copy of trojan remover from here (http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html) Don't forget to run their respective updates before running.

tommy
10-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Sounds quite a bit of a mystery, especially when Nortons is not detecting any viruses. Further to what PoWa says about a key logger I see that there is such a trojan listed on Norton's website. It may be worth a look. Details here (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/keylogger.cone.trojan.html).

movienut
10-07-2003, 10:49 PM
FORMAT :D