PDA

View Full Version : dvd drive player

Robo1
09-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi. My DVD player always picks up Interactual player software all the time. How do I stop this and get it to change the software it uses.
I have down loaded Power dvd but it continually tries to get me to down load and use the interactual player.
Please spell out means to change in a step by step format as I am software illiterate.
Cheers Steve!

demonmors
09-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi there, from what you have said i'm going to make a presumption and guess that you want don't want to use interactual player at all. Going by this, the first thing you would do is to point yourself to the add/remove component of the windows control panel. To get there, click on: Start > Settings > Control panel. In here search for "add remove programs". Search though the newly opened window that contains the majority of programs installed on your machine until you find "interactual player", you may find it is called something else dependant on the actual maker of the software, it will be there though so just keep hunting. When you have found it, click on the "Remove" button to uninstall it. Follow through the uninstall wizard until you have reached the end. Now insert a DVD, one of two things will happen - either a autorun window will appear asking you which application you wish to use to open this particular CD or nothing will happen at all. If the autorun window appears then select Power DVD and you're away. If nothing happens then you need to open Power DVD then go into its configuration settings and find the "associations" section. There will be an option there to enable it to associate it with DVD media. Hope this helps.

Biggles
09-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Some DVDs insanely insist on installing InterActual player for you, unfortunately. So if you remove it and then pop in a DVD with PC-specific functions, up pops the installer for InterActual. You may be able to choose not to install but I've come across some where they don't give you the option. It doesn't bloody work on my system so I never want to use it. I'm lazy so I just close it when it opens and then fire up Power DVD or WinDVD instead.

KiwiTT
09-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Just a thought: Install TweakUI and turn off Autorun. I never liked this feature of Windows.

Robo1
09-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Robo again.
Thanks demonmors but the interact player has been removed in add & delete programs.
In options for dvd player Power Dvd player is there but always deaults back to interactual player.
Help!!!
As Bruce has commented he has given up and just re opens with another player.
I am not giving up!
Tried using reg clean to get rid of any hanggers on but still No success.
Help!!!

PoWa
09-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Change the file extensions for IFO and VOB to make them load with Power Dvd.

Tools -> Folder options -> File types tab.

Look for IFO and VOB, and change what program they start up with.

Mike
09-07-2003, 10:29 PM
What is happening is that DVD drives are not only drives that play DVDs, but read data DVDs like they would data CDs. This being the case, it's not the MOVIE that is trying to load Interactual player, but the software on the DVD being autorun. Thus changing file associations won't have any effect, as what is being run when you insert the DVD is the autorun.inf and associated files, and the only way to get around that is to disable the autorun.

I think you used to be able to override the autorun by holding down SHIFT, but I don't know if that still works. Even if you do that, though, you'll still have to manually start a DVD player program to watch your movie. The software autorun overrides any Windows intelligent auto-loading of content.

Mike.

vk_dre
09-07-2003, 10:37 PM
I use Win DVD as u can slow the playback speed, which is so cool when watching movies like Matrix, and then u realise hey , they are just faking!!
They dont really know karate or jujitsu.:D

cheers,
v.K

PoWa
10-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Sorry Mike, my method will work. It definitely worked for me when I wanted the dvd to play in WinDvd instead of interactual.

The VOB (DVD Video OBject) and IFO (InFOrmation) file extensions are specific to only video dvds. So changing them will only affect video DVDs. If he were to put in a game or data DVD it won't open in PowerDVD - nothing will happen.

Robo1
10-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Hi.
Thanks for your input every one.
PoWa with regard to you instructions I have no trouble getting to File types.
Once I have these it gets confusing.
Two details given Extension and file type.
Under Extension There is power dvd logo and next to that in brackets none.
And under File type is DVD video.
Look forward to your assistance.
Cheers Robo.

PoWa
10-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Ok Ill explain in a little more detail ;)

Ok, your looking in the file types tab. There should be a long list of file extensions. The first ones will say (none) but if you scroll down the list you will find the 3 letter extensions like DOC, AVI, TXT etc.

-> Scroll down till you find the IFO file extension.
-> Click on it, then click 'change'. That should bring up a list of programs you could use to open the file with. Find power dvd and click OK and Apply, and your done.
-> If PowerDvd isn't in the list, then click 'browse' and navigate to where you installed PowerDvd (C:\Program Files\ etc).
-> Select the main .exe file, then click ok, ok, apply, close. :)

Repeat those steps for the VOB file extension. And test by putting a dvd in the drive. You may need to reboot, not sure :)

Robo1
10-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Cheers for all the hard work PoWa.
I know I am making this hard work!
There are No files in this list with IFO or VOB.
Power DVD is in this list with file extension "PSZ"
I wish I was in IT.
THANKS again for the persistence.

PoWa
10-07-2003, 02:16 PM
In folder options again, click the View Tab along the top, scroll down and make sure you have unchecked "Hide file extensions for known file types".

Now explore the dvd in windows explorer, go into the Video_TS folder I think its called.

Right click on one of the .vob files and go 'open with' or open. It should ask you what program you want to open it with. Choose PowerDvd.

Do the same for one of the .ifo files.

PoWa
10-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Oh, and make sure you tick the "always use the selected program when opening this type of file"

Robo1
10-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi PoWa. Have done all as you said.
Found Video_TS files etc and did as you said.
But every time I insert disc "A" for interactual player comes up in front of
D :\ D drive.
Where I looked up Video TS file also appears "A" for interactual player.
Have been to add & remove programes and deleted original interactual player. I have also re loaded in and used their uninstall comand.
Then I have used reg clean and add aware.
But still this little bugger hangs on!
If I was religous man I would start praying!!!
Help!!!

Mike
10-07-2003, 07:22 PM
> Sorry Mike, my method will work. It definitely worked
> for me when I wanted the dvd to play in WinDvd
> instead of interactual.
>
> The VOB (DVD Video OBject) and IFO (InFOrmation) file
> extensions are specific to only video dvds.
> So changing them will only affect video DVDs. If he
> were to put in a game or data DVD it won't open in
> PowerDVD - nothing will happen.

If it worked for you, then it shouldn't have :) The first thing Windows looks for when a disk is inserted is the AUTORUN.INF and related files. If they aren't found Windows then tries to identify what is on the disk that the user might want to be running, so the second choice for Windows should then be the VOB and IFO. But if the autorun is there, and autorun tells Windows to run the Interactual program, then that's what it'll do. If it didn't for you, then possibly interactual was launched via a different method on the DVD you were using (or perhaps that's what it's like on all DVDs). I'll have a look at some later to see if I can figure it out :)

Mike.

PoWa
10-07-2003, 09:37 PM
I don't think video dvds have autorun.inf files. Not the video dvds anyway. The dvd video ones use the .ifo file to load the movie, which was what I was trying to get at.

However it is possible he has some evil dvd that has autorun.inf that likes to install that bad player ;) Tell us what the dvd is, and see if it has dvd-rom specific functions on it??? I'm wondering, who actually made interactual player, not microsoft surely?

I'm out of ideas really. :| Your last resort is to disable autorun on the dvd drive. What version of windows are you running?? I know in XP, you can go into My computer, right click on the dvd drive and go autoplay tab. Select video files from the pulldown menu, and change to powerdvd etc.

Mike
10-07-2003, 10:02 PM
> I don't think video dvds have autorun.inf files. Not
> the video dvds anyway. The dvd video ones use the
> .ifo file to load the movie, which was what I was
> trying to get at.
>
> However it is possible he has some evil dvd that has
> autorun.inf that likes to install that bad player ;)
> Tell us what the dvd is, and see if it has dvd-rom
> specific functions on it???

I just inserted my Star Wars Ep 2 DVD and guess what popped up almost straight away... yup, Interactual player. Opened explorer and browsed to the dvd. Here are the contents of the root of the DVD:

autorun.inf
disc.id
install.exe
readme.txt

Opened the autorun.inf and it says this:

[autorun]
open=install.EXE id= ver=1.0.0.0
icon=win\setup\iPlayer.ico

That was on the movie disk, not on the extras disk. The same thing for 2 or 3 more DVDs (out of the 14 I tried). The disks that Interactual started on were the only DVDs that had PC specific content on them. These all started via autorun.inf.

So I guess that DVDs with PC content/Interactual player on them will start interactual automatically from autorun.inf.

> I'm wondering, who actually made interactual player, not microsoft
> surely?

Interactual player is made by interactual technologies inc. I don't think it's Microsoft (fairly sure of that in fact) :)

Mike.

PoWa
10-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Right, thanks for that Mike :)

What happens if you just insert a normal dvd?

Robo1
11-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Hi PoWa & Mike.
Thanks for your help.
The DVD I am playing, Don't laugh, Shrek.
It is an original comercial copy.
As soon as it is in the drive it comes up with interactual player.
I will have to try another movie.
The root file is as Mike says and comes up with the same content.
I was actually tring back up software!
I find the interactual display of this movie, to be horrible.
But once again I think it has been some submersive software by the moviemanufacturers.
Always keen if some one has a means to deal with it.
I am also using a Toshiba satelite pro lap top.
I dave got acopy of DVD copy xpress.
It does not seem to work with this DVD is there other issues?
Once again thanks for you input.

Robo1
11-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Hi.
Excuse grammar and comprehension mistakes people.
It is too early in the morning!!!!

Mike
11-07-2003, 09:11 AM
> Right, thanks for that Mike :)

No problem - it just didn't make sense to me LOL :p

> What happens if you just insert a normal dvd?

What would happen is WinDVD or PowerDVD (whichever I decide to install) would launch the movie, but as I don't have either installed at the moment Windows just asks me what I want to use to play DVD content.

Mike.

Mike
11-07-2003, 09:17 AM
> The DVD I am playing, Don't laugh, Shrek.

Ah! Shrek is an annoying one, it actually requires Interactual to be installed for you to be able to access the PC content on the DVD - all the games and fun stuff on the Shrek DVD for PCs are run through interactual, and I don't think you can use them without it. The movie should be able to be played fine with another software player, but to access/use the PC content you'll need interactual.

Interactual theoretically shouldn't display the movie any different from WinDVD or PowerDVD or whatever software player you have, as it uses that player's decoding and display function to show the movie, but it might have something to do with your computer's ability to display/run directdraw (I think that's what it uses).

Copying the DVD brings in other issues, such as copy protection (the DVD is quite likely to have copy protection built in) which you'd need to bypass to be able to copy it.

The easiest way to bypass interactual is to just click Cancel when the installer appears, and open the movie using your usual software player. Unless someone has a program out there to tell Windows to ignore interactual's launcher (I doubt there is one) I don't think there'll be any other way around it.

Mike.

Robo1
11-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks chaps.
On that note I suppose I can let that subject rest!