PDA

View Full Version : System Restore Problem

dadzka
09-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi all - whilst part way through a system restore under Windows XP Home last night we had a power failure. Appears to have caused a major meltdown. When I attempt to restart/redo system restore it brings up a blank screen so that I am unable to restore system to a previous save point. It appears to have deleted/lost several files with settings and internet settings and Favorites gone all together. It appears that system restore is still monitoring the drives but I am unable to access the system restore system.

Pheonix
09-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Where you making a restore point or actually restoring your computer when the power failed?
As far as I am aware, you have either way, lost it. If computer is going OK now, turn off restore, restart and turn the restore on again. Then make a new restore point.
Do not rely on restore for backing up. This may have been a small lesson, in that anything can happen and you suddenly realise how important some of that data is.
There are free backup programs out there that you can use, so this will not worry you in the future.

dadzka
09-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your reply - I was in the process of doing a system restore to a point a couple of days ago to try and overcome a "minor" problem. The process was at the stage of rebooting when the power went, so the process was half way through as it were. As mentioned previously all is not well with some programmes such as Media Player not working correctly and internet settings missing etc.

*Sparky*
09-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Can you press F8 at startup to get to safe mode and choose "Last known good configuration"?

Jen C
09-07-2003, 08:47 PM
>When I attempt to restart/redo system restore it brings up a blank screen so that I am unable to restore system to a previous save point.

Do mean that the space where the calender should be appears blank? If so look at System Restore Tool Displays a Blank Calendar in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q313853)

Something else you can check out is to go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Event Viewer > System. Look for messages under source with the name sr or srservice. Clicking on that message might give you some hints to what is happening with System Restore.