PDA

View Full Version : Boot Screen Stuffed

JamesStewart
09-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Hi all. Well, I was mucking around with my computer AGAIN and installed a new boot screen (in safe mode). I made sure it was a SP1 file but when I turned the computer on, it just sits there and doesn't do anything. And booting in safe mode doesn't work. any ideas?

Merlin
09-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Yes

But you probably already know them

JamesStewart
09-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Well, i have one idea, but it involves time. Would putting my hard drive into another computer and making it the slave and then replace the file work? But i would have to take my HD out and take it to a mates house and.... this computer I am using is a laptop....

Merlin
09-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Probably not

next idea

JamesStewart
09-07-2003, 12:23 AM
I don't have any more.... :|

Chilling_Silently
09-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Try repairing your install using the CD :-)

PoWa
09-07-2003, 01:30 AM
What file system was windows on?? fat32 or ntfs?

I missed what OS you said you were using?

Perhaps you could use PartitionMagic, to make ure windows partition smaller. Then install linux (mandrake?) on the free space. Then mount the windows partition from linux, and fix the offending system file.

Or maybe knoppix would do it, would prefer a proper linux though :)

Pretty complex :p

Merlin
09-07-2003, 02:41 AM
Reinstall Windows into a new directory - not the default location.

Backup inportant data - take ownership of folders if necessary.

Attempt to repair or replace the damaged file.

If repairs work, remove the second windows installation and modify the boot.ini file.

If repairs are unsuccessful, reformat and reinstall. Recover important data from the backups.

Next time create an image - prevention is utimately less time consuming than cure.

Chilling_Silently
09-07-2003, 03:35 AM
> Next time create an image - prevention is utimately
> less time consuming than cure.

But ultimately more costly. You must remember that not everybody is wizard of their land, and people in the real world cannot simply make money grow on tree's.

Ghost is good, but does cost, and personally installing RedHat 9 in 30 mins seem's more appealing than forking out the $$ for Ghost.

Partitioning would help, simply save all 'sensitive' data, like My Documents, and other items which would normally be backed up to a secondary partition.

Then, when things go wrong, simply format the primary partition and your data is safe still!

Free... although it takes twice as long, there's no "Left-overs" from the previous install.. no reason for things to go wrong.. :-)

beama
09-07-2003, 08:15 AM
if your file system is ntfs this will not work
boot you pc with a 98 boot disk then use DOS "edit" to edit the file you wish to modify.
Good luck

beama
09-07-2003, 08:19 AM
or linux file systems ext 2 or 3
or you maybe able to do it using a linux boot disk (if you made one on the linux install) and use one of the linux command line text editors ( cant remember the names at the moment) via maybe.
again good luck

Kame
09-07-2003, 12:24 PM
What is your operating system?

What is this boot screen? Is it a bootloader or a skin to change how the login looks?

More details on what you were trying to do would help, including what it was?

JamesStewart
09-07-2003, 09:38 PM
It is THE booting .exe file that I changed. The ntoskln.exe (or somthing like that). I have my Windows XP Pro cd with me know, so wot can I do?

JamesStewart
09-07-2003, 09:42 PM
I do not want to install anything else onto my computer, i just want to fix it! Chilling, how do I use the Repair Console? and wot do I do? One thing, I am using Service Pack 1, so if I can/did repair the .exe file off the CD, it would be wrong any way... because XP isn't SP1....

PoWa
09-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Hopefully the file should copy fine. Maybe it won't notice the diferences in versions. Most likely that exe file wasn't even updated with SP1?

If the recovery console works like command line function inside windows I guess you could find the file on the cd and copy it to your C: drive . Thats asuming that the file isn't compressed - in which case it might be rather difficult.

Just to a full repair, and reinstall SP1, after the repair.

Just click enter to set up windows when prompted, and it will search for an existing windows install and ask if you would like to repair.

Chilling_Silently
10-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Ahh. Dead easy there:
Begin install like you normally would.. past that ugly blue screen... and it'll give you the option of Repair or Install.

Its here that I normally choose install, and it carries on and searches for previous installs, so let it and it will find your old WindowsXP setup... Now, it'll ask you if rather than over-write it or something similar, would you like to repair it, select yes :-)

Just follow your nose and you should be fine, read the instructions carefully and you cant go wrong :-)