PDA

View Full Version : windows 2000 backup

larry
08-07-2003, 09:34 PM
I wish to use a RW CD for backup on my windows 2000 system. This would enable me to backup all critical files once and then do regular incremental backups.

However when I try to backup to CD the "Backup" program comes up with an error message saying the D drive is not connected.

The CD drive works fine otherwise and the backup program generated a restore floppy disc OK.

Any ideas??

cyberchuck
08-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey
How do you shut down your computer - with Hibernate? as this has been known to cause problems with [external] devices which are uncapable of hibernating.

Also, (I can't remember how to do this in W2k), open up Device Manager (it should be somewhere in the control panel), and make sure that Windows isn't complaining about your CD-Writer with bad drivers or something.

Finally, how long has this been going on? - Have you just installed the CDRW and your getting problems, or has it been installed for a year and your only getting problems now
Are you able to burn other CD's (with a CD-R) either by selecting files or copying a CD?
And is it External or Internal?

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
08-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Also, The brand name of the CD-Writer and the name of the burning software would be appreciated.

CyberChuck

Merlin
09-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Won't work

MS Windows 2000 Backup is for tape media

Chilling_Silently
09-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Correct, however, I have been told that if you use applications such as InCD (By Ahead software) you can get it to backup using that.
You're better off using Nero to burn backups :-)