PDA

View Full Version : installing memory card reader

johut2
08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
I've just got a Kodak multi card reader. When I try to install it on my machine (Win XP) I get an error message at the end of the hardware installation wizard. "Unable to install. The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name"
I tried installing another brand of reader a couple of months ago but it wouldnt work under XP. I removed it via the Hardware Device Manager.
Any ideas on how I can get this one to work please?

Graham L
09-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Do Kodak say that this one works with XP? Is it a USB device, or is it on a parallel or serial port?

You could try just "using" it, if it is a USB. Put a card in and plug it into the USB port. XP might quiver a bit and show a new drive there. :D That's how my PC Card adaptor for Flash cards works with W95. I was pleasantly surprised. :O (All right, I was amazed.)

johut2
10-07-2003, 11:41 AM
thanks for that. I'll try it tonight. Much appreciated

godfather
10-07-2003, 12:26 PM
I have used a couple of card readers with XP.

As Graham has suggested, no driver software was needed. XP just recognised them as removeable drives.

The only limitation was that one of them needed unplugging from the USB and re-connecting to correctly recognise a memory card had been changed.

Graham L
10-07-2003, 05:39 PM
The PC Card adaptor likes to be told that the card was to be removed, you might have the same thing with XP. Try right clicking on the "drive" and see if it has a "Close" or "Eject" option.

johut
23-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your help folks. Much appreciated