PDA

View Full Version : Is there a free icon changing program out there, please?

ssssss
08-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I have searched Nonags and downloaded lots of icons. However I don't know how to make use of them on my computer. Does one have to download a special program to do it? If so can someone tell me of a free one.

stu140103
08-07-2003, 07:31 PM
> I have searched Nonags and downloaded lots of icons.
> However I don't know how to make use of them on my
> computer. Does one have to download a special program
> to do it? If so can someone tell me of a free one.

You have to right click on a icon, click on properties > then click on the change icon button then click on the browse button then you can browse to where every you save those icons

Hope this helps

ssssss
08-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks Stu, but this only works when one clicks on properties, and finds a "Change Icon" box. For most of my icons this box just isn't there. I have Windows ME.
For instance I have folders with KaaZaa Lite dat files in them, that I am in the process of downloading, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change the icons to something else!

stu140103
08-07-2003, 09:02 PM
> Thanks Stu, but this only works when one clicks on
> properties, and finds a "Change Icon" box. For most
> of my icons this box just isn't there. I have Windows
> ME.

I also have Win ME :)

> For instance I have folders with KaaZaa Lite dat
> files in them, that I am in the process of
> downloading, and there doesn't seem to be a way to
> change the icons to something else!

Have a look under folder options then click on the file type tab then click on the advance tab & you should be able to change them in there

Hope this helps , if not post back here :)

hamstar
08-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Go to www.pcworld.com and search through the downloads. I found Shhhhhitloads of stuff under OS Mods or similar. Programs such as anyfolder let you change folder icons and icons for any kind of file!

Also try Desktop Architect from any of the late PCWORLD cd's. Or search google.

;\

ssssss
08-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks a lot Stu - I didn't know about that and it works fine.
I am now having a great time changing things! Stephen

PoWa
08-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Changing the icon for a program will only work on a shortcut to that program. I think the icon for an exe file is stored inside the exe file. Maybe there is a program that will change that, but highly unlikely - (unless it stores the changed iconin the shell icon cache or something).

You can however, make a shortcut to the actual file, then right click - properties - change icon. As someone mentioned above.

For kazaa, u want to change the picture of the dat file? You could doing this in any folder.

Tools menu -> Folder Options -> File types tab -> Find the DAT file extension. Make it open with a diferent program. That should change the icon on it. I wouldn't open the actual dat file with anything, or it could corrupt your download.

ssssss
08-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Thanks Powa - I was just wondering about changing the icons in MY PROGRAMS folder, and you answered. Is there any harm in then deleting the original folder, once one has made a shortcut to it? Stephen

Terry Porritt
08-07-2003, 10:34 PM
:):) great harm, you would have a shortcut to nowhere! :)

ssssss
08-07-2003, 10:46 PM
thanks Terry, just as well you told me! - Stephen

LucyL
08-07-2003, 11:30 PM
There is also programs that will enable you to change icons to any picture you want.

Here's (http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/ChangeIcon_e.html) a link to one of the programs. Have used this on computers to customize icons for kids use.

Cheers Lucy

ssssss
09-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Have just done a bit more looking in Tucows, and found an excellent little free program for changing individual folder icons, called folderstyle