PDA

View Full Version : Kensington Lock on a Laptop

Mizz_1Nique
07-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey,

I just found out that my computer has a Kensington Lock. What do you guys know about them and how do you use them to lock your computer or use the motion detection sensors?

Thanks, Haidee

GrahamB
09-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi Haidee,

If you are referring to the small slot at the back of your laptop, then there are a number of locks available.

I went to BigByte in Palm North a year ago and started off with a very expensive model, but the staff member, Nicky, was extremely helpful and tracked down a sensibly priced one. Unfortunately I cannot remeber the name. I use it all the time.

I also dropped "Kensington Lock" into google and came up with this site, which sells all sorts of locks, motion detectors etc. for Kensington Locks.

http://www.dealtimeshopping.com/cables/kensington_lock.htm

HTH

Regards
Graham Bockett

Graham L
10-07-2003, 05:53 PM
The "Kensington Lock" is just a slot which a cable with an appropriate tag can be plugged into. Once it's plugged in, honest people can't remove it. :D

If the cable is wrapped around something solid and locked (not just a table leg ... a table can be lifted to free it :D) it is a a deterrent to thieves. It's as effective as a bicycle lock. Or a locked house. But anyone determined, who doesn't care about doing damage can have anything. :-(

As always, if a thief has a choice between something locked and soemthing not, they will pick the one which offers least trouble.