PDA

View Full Version : Control of soundcard Volume over Network

geoffwe
06-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi

I have a small business where I would like to play MP3s through one of the PCs, but then allow anybody on any of the PCs to be able to turn the music down if it gets to a point where they can't hear customers on the phone.

There are 3 PCs all running XP Prof. All PCs have the logical multimedia keyboard with the mute and volume control.

I would be fantastic if adjusting one of the volume controls on any PC adjusted the sound volume running through the PC connected to the stereo.

I thought maybe sharing the soundcard like you share CDROM and folders, however as expected this is not supported by XP, and might not give global control.

I have thought about embedding a Windows Media Player object into a web page, where all PCs can open web page and adjust, however I don't think this would work, and would be more involved than simply turning a pot on a keyboard. Our work-app takes up full screen, and ALT-TAB a bit of a pain when answering phone.

....anyway you can see the kind of things I'm thinking of. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff

sc0ut
06-07-2003, 10:41 PM
i don't have a clue of this answer but when you find out how let men know
i work at a net cafe and some people can rewin headphones by playing games too loude

Chilling_Silently
07-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Ive done it in Linux if its any consolation...

But really, I think the only way you might be able to achieve that is using software such as RealVNC, which the customers might not appreciate.

I work in a CyberCafe too, how about asking them to simply turn the volume down?

metla
07-07-2003, 01:34 PM
or walking up behind them,grabbing the headphones and strangeling the snot outta em.

TerryW
07-07-2003, 05:27 PM
If you want to get quick and dirty, write a vb program to adjust the volume, have it listening on a tcp port and write a clien to connect to the port, program the shortcut keys on the keyboard to send a volume command to your remote pc.