PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express: Subject

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
06-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey, I have just formatted our family's main computer today as it became too messy, I have simply used the "drag 'n drop" method of backing up our emails before the format. However, when I repeat it back after the format, it appears like this (http://www.hitech.orcon.net.nz/screenshot.jpg). The subject in the top does not show, whereas when I open it, or view in preview, it shows up perfectly. The main body text I have no problems with, just the title not showing up on the front.

How do I resolve this so that it shows up, using Outlook 6, and Big5 to show the Chinese characters...

Thanks in advance

stu140103
06-07-2003, 10:55 PM
> How do I resolve this so that it shows up, using
> Outlook 6, and Big5 to show the Chinese
> characters...

Try using the IE Language pack (Chinese), (I think there is one, I know there is one for IE 5.5) that might help, you can get it throw windows update

Hope this helps

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks, any more ideas?

stu140103
07-07-2003, 08:45 PM
> Thanks, any more ideas?

Did the above suggestion work???? Or are you still having the same problem???

cyberchuck
07-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Jeez that image is painful to load on a 56k...
Has Stu's suggestion with the Language Pack worked?
Otherwise, (be careful with this), open the backed-up email in Notepad and check the subject. Has it been 'changed' so it's not displaying characters correctly? or is it alright in Notepad?
If Notepad shows the subject with incorrect characters, then there lies your problem, otherwise, the problem will lie in Outlook with the fact that it is previewing emails with the language pack, but not showing the subject with the relevant language pack...

Otherwise, if you have some time free, you could do things the cheap way and "resend" the email to yourself with the correct changes by editing your email address in Outlook (Tools > Accounts) and then sending it back to yourself.. Might be fun ;):p

Sorry, but I'm out of idea's for the night

CyberChuck

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-07-2003, 10:21 PM
No, still not working

stu140103
07-07-2003, 10:28 PM
> Jeez that image is painful to load on a 56k...

look at the file size 1.4 mb!

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-07-2003, 10:29 PM
> Jeez that image is painful to load on a 56k...

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that it does take about 1mb download to view it, it was the smallest I could get too... :(

> Has Stu's suggestion with the Language Pack worked?

No....

>... otherwise,
> the problem will lie in Outlook with the fact that it
> is previewing emails with the language pack, but not
> showing the subject with the relevant language
> pack...

Yeah, I think thats the problem

> Otherwise, if you have some time free, you could do
> things the cheap way and "resend" the email to
> yourself with the correct changes by editing your
> email address in Outlook (Tools > Accounts) and then
> sending it back to yourself.. Might be fun ;):p

No, this wouldn't work, as new arriving new mails are coming out to be the same too. I've tried sending between my Orcon/Hotmail/Xtra several times, anything that is received in Outlook, turns out to be like this

Thanks,