PDA

View Full Version : RealTek ISA NIC and WinXP

pmchapman
06-07-2003, 08:41 PM
I recently bought a second hand Celeron 1 Ghz computer running Windows XP Pro. It had one ISA slot, so I thought I would daisy chain network it to my older Pentium 100 running Windows 95, as I was given the parts for an ISA daisy chain network (2 ISA NICS, terminators, cables).

The network cards are identical and one of the network cards installs fine on my Windows 95 machine. On the WinXP machine it is a different story. Windows does not recognise the ISA NIC and when I manually add the driver, it says that the device cannot be started. I tried swapping the cards (Win95 worked, XP still didn't) and setting the XP NIC to IRQ 7 and I/O Range to 300-31F. The Win95 card has the same I/O, but IRQ 5 (although it worked at IRQ 7). I cannot set the XP NIC IRQ to 5 because the USB Controller has a firm hold on that IRQ.

Can Anyone Help Me????

Thanks

Peter Chapman

Graham L
07-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Umm. ISA and XP. :D :_|

Try IRQ 10, if you can set that. Otherwise look for a PCI card. :D

Unfortunately, it will have only a Cat5 connector, unless you are very lucky, so you might need a complete set ... PCI card, ISA card with RJ45 connector (or PCI if the older machine will take it) and crossover Cat5/5e cable. I'm sad they stopped the coax ... I prefer it. (If the ISA cards have 15 pin tranceiver connectors, you might find an adapter from that to RJ45 for less than the cost of a new card.)

pmchapman
07-07-2003, 04:26 PM
I will try changing the IRQ.

Windows XP does not detect it (Win98 did when that was installed), so
I think maybe something else is the cause?

Graham L
07-07-2003, 04:33 PM
I think it's the OS. :D

pmchapman
07-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Yeah, IRQ 10 Didn't work. D'oh!
:-( No Network for Me.

Unless anyone else can help me please?