PDA

View Full Version : Installing ADSL and changing ISP

palude
06-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Hello
I decided to upgrade to ADSL and thought I'd done all my homework RE enabling Jetstream and reading up etc beforehand. I knew I had to contact the ISP for part of the process, but it wasn't made clear to me(I spoke to them earlier in the week) that I needed to contact them during "office hours" not "help desk hours" to change my account. Well the setup went well until I phoned the ISP. Basic message "accounts dept closed - ring back on Monday". Needless to say I was absolutely livid, not only about the message, but at the "take it or leave it "way in which it was delivered. Did a ring around and signed up immediately with another ISP. Question - how do I retrieve my e-mails from the 1st ISP, and is it possible to put a re-direct in place?
regards
palude

godfather
06-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Retrieve your e-mails?

Are you suggesting you leave them on the ISP server, or do you mean you just need to collect any while people get to know your new address?

Most ISPs have web-mail access to the e-mails, provided you continue to pay for a mailbox. Again, most have "options" in the web-mail access where you can set a forwarding address. I use that faility to not only forward the e-mail but to autogenerate a reply advising of the new e-mail address.

Visit your old ISP homepage and look around.

stu140103
06-07-2003, 12:39 AM
who is your ISP Now??

Big John
06-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Just use the same account as before.
In your mail setup (which ever one you used) leave it the same. Most ISP's allow you to pick up e-mail from their server via POP3 (normal e-mail) from anywhere.

The problem comes when sending e-mail. Most you have to be connected to the ISP to be able to send. Or you could get them to enable SMTP authentication (usually costs extra) and you can do it from one.

My suggestion is to close your account on your old ISP and have them forward your e-mail to you new account. Most will do this for some time at no cost.

wotz
06-07-2003, 03:44 PM
I thought xtra only let you collect your mail if connected through xtra, same as you can only get phone bill electronically if you use xtra. Where is the commerce commission?