PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from d to c

gramps
05-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I have a disk with 2 partitions C: 21.8 gb ntfs winxp home ,D:15.3 gb Fat32 all the odds on it games etc.

I would like to tranfer all D to C so that I can experiment with linux on D is there an easy way to do this?

Any help appreciated thanks.

Merlin
05-07-2003, 01:34 PM
No - messy

Best methods are:
Reinstall items on the D drive to the root drive, or
Purchase another drive for use with Linux.

PoWa
05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Its not really that messy.

You would need something like a Partition Magic, bootdisk for starters.

You would resize the C:\ partition to make it about 6gig smaller. Then using the graphical interface of PM, you would drag the free space from where it is stuck in the middle over to the end of the drive.

PM would shift all the data in D: closer to the C: partition. And you would be left with 6gig free space at the end of the drive.

You would then put in a linux cd, and install linux into the unused disk space. Easy. :)

gramps
05-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Not as easy as I thought,as my computer is running very sweetly at the moment another drive seems to be the best solution.
I should be able to get another drive for less than the cost of PM and no worries of screwing up rearranging partitions:):).

Thanks for the replies.

Susan B
05-07-2003, 04:48 PM
> Its not really that messy.

It is when you start talking about moving programs from one partition to another. A lot of programs have their hooks all over the show and if one or two files get left behind or the program loses its reference to them in the registry then the program will either run badly or not at all.

Better to uninstall the programs from old partition and reinstall in new one. And in this situation the easiest way is to install another hard drive as Gramps is now planning to do.