PDA

View Full Version : format c drive ntfs

shaawing
04-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Can anyone enlighten me on how to do this, which software can I use, the drive has two other partitions that I want to keep.

Thanks

mellingham
04-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi there.

What OS are you currently using? Do you want to keep it and the associated system files or are you going to do a reinstall? If you are reinstalling the OS, what are you thinking of installing?

Sorry for all the questions but the install process for NT, 2K and XP will allow you to format the drive. If you are running any of the above OS's then you can use the convert c: /FS:ntfs command

Take a FULL BACKUP before doing this of course!

shaawing
04-07-2003, 12:59 PM
I am running xp pro and want to do a complete reinstall, can I do this from running winnt32 from the d:\ partition and then formatting during
the install?

shaawing
04-07-2003, 01:02 PM
sorry, the drive is already ntfs too

mellingham
04-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Yeah...I would boot using an NT/2000/XP boot disk or a bootable version of the XP CD and then do a clean install, re-formatting the C:\ drive during the installation. You will be able to select the installation partition so make sure that you do not nuke the others!

Go to bootdisk.com if you need boot disk images.

shaawing
05-07-2003, 01:27 PM
When I run winnt from 98 boot disk, I get internal setup error "Could not find a place for a swap file." Is this because the disk is ntfs? I can't fdisk cos I need to keep the other partitions (data)

Merlin
05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Insufficient information.

From your previous posts:
The drive is partitioned into a primary partition and an extended partition containing two logical drives.
The primary partition is formatted NTFS
A full reinstall of Windows XP onto the primary partition while retaining the two logical drives is the desired outcome.

Backup the contents of the two logical drives - either to CD or another physical hard drive. Test the backups.
Given that you asked <b>can I do this from running winnt32 from the d:\ partition</b> you do not have Windows XP CD.
The answer to that question is Yes.
Be aware though, this may result in a corrupted installation due to overwriting during the installation.

The better solution is to:
Backup the contents of the two logical drives - either to CD or another physical hard drive. Test the backups.
Remove all existing partitions.
Reboot.
Create new partitions and install. This may involve formatting the primary partition if a Win 9x boot disk is used.