PDA

View Full Version : OT - the dangers of using a PC too much - evolving into a Geek

Greg S
03-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Geez I hate the idea of being referred to as a geek - I mean I'm (or at least was) a lean mean rugby, martial arts and cowboy machine.

But the slippery slide into geek'ism is slow, yet sure, and my fiancee brought to my attention a couple of instances that indicate I have to become aware:

She asked me for a phone number the other day, and I said "click on xxx xxxx"

Tonight I had my bro on the phone, and asked him to hold on, while I "delete" a fly I saw on the cabinet.

Scarey huh!

Murray P
03-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Greg, was the fly completely and irrevocably deleted, I mean someone with the right skills and gear could retrieve it, couldn't they! Did you wipe it into oblivion, what technique did you use and did you test it?

Cheers Murray :P

beetle
03-07-2003, 11:29 PM
and did you delete it from the recycle bin?

:p

and yes i am beginning to have similar thoughts, to normal to be a geek but also to geek to be a normal ?

hmmm?

and i feel like i should laugh at times : LOL ?
now thats scary.

and at times i feel in need of a refresh button?

man i need a break i think.

beetle :D

Archibald
04-07-2003, 12:12 AM
> She asked me for a phone number the other day, and I
> said "click on xxx xxxx"
>
> Tonight I had my bro on the phone, and asked him to
> hold on, while I "delete" a fly I saw on the
> cabinet.

Gosh, I thought I was going crazy. I was beginning to wonder if I was taking in to many rays from my monitor or something?:| :)

-=JM=-
04-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Well in my dream the other night (rare occasion of sleeping) I was dreaming about what new releases of software might be available for download in the morning.

Or I see regular everyday companies with SQL on the side of their vans because they're the "Super Quizzes Limited" or some legitimate acronym. Of course I'm just standing there wondering why someone would want Structured Query Language on the side of their vehicle.

Or I'll be in the car with someone and will laugh when I see the number plate AMDxxx.

whetu
04-07-2003, 01:58 AM
I wrote "delete all flies!" on our flat whiteboard once.. my flatmates still havent let me down for that one

One of my favourites was when I was talking on the phone to a programmer friend about popping round to grab some stuff, and I asked him for his address and without even thinking he told me his email address! (in an "ummm you know this already" tone) It took him a while to catch on to why I was laughing :D

Murray P
04-07-2003, 09:59 AM
whetu. Just to go OT for a mo. bettle is looking for a reliable puter shop in the Wanganui or Palmy area. I seem to remember you (or was it metla) having some contacts over that way. See this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=36749)

Cheers Murray P

Dolby Digital
04-07-2003, 05:03 PM
>>a lean mean rugby, martial arts and cowboy machine.
You'll give being a geek a bad name (I suppose you are a well balanced person as well!)

BTW Where do you keep your gun!

Jen C
04-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Be Proud To Be A Geek! :D

I am still trying to live it down at work when given a quiz on Health & Safety I wrote down (by accident) that you would find Google and not Goggles in a spill kit and the MSDS stood for Microsoft Data System ...

Susan B
04-07-2003, 06:23 PM
I think the day I realised that I was a geek (or geek wannabe, anyway) was when a friend said she was getting new windows. That got me going on about how her old P133 would be too slow to take Windows ME and that she would regret not sticking with Windows 95, etc etc .........

I still haven't lived that down. :8} :D

Dolby Digital
04-07-2003, 07:41 PM
>>said she was getting new windows
Bill Gates would be proud of you :D

Dolby Digital
04-07-2003, 08:16 PM
>>Be Proud To Be A Geek!

Here here. Back room boys (girls) are a dying breed. These days you have to be able to communicate :p

Greg S
04-07-2003, 09:22 PM
>>(I suppose you are a well balanced person as well!)

Yeps

Thomas
04-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Why do I always get things wrong?I thought they were an increasing breed!Due to proliferation of the the compu......... ah well.