PDA

View Full Version : win2000 or xp activation without internet

andrzej
03-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Hey, anyone has ever installed and run win 2000 pro or xp pro without being on the net? is it possible to activate 2000 or xp without being on the net?

i could get no sense from ms support.

Chilling_Silently
03-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Technically, there are ways which require you doing things during the install process in between reboots etc.

So that way, it is possible, the stories are out there on the web, but, I havent actually known anybody myself who's done that!

Otherwise, I used a corporate key, I still have the certificate of authenticity and all, but just used a key that meant I didnt have to re-register/activate with MS every time I swap hardware, and believe me, if I hadnt, I would know ALL the operators by name by now...

However, whether ethically or morally, whatever, you want to do it or not, or how, is up to you and you alone.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

stu140103
03-07-2003, 01:16 PM
> Hey, anyone has ever installed and run win 2000 pro
> or xp pro without being on the net? is it possible to
> activate 2000 or xp without being on the net?

Yep just give them a ring ( MS has a NZ number) & they should be able to do it over the phone I think

Hope this helps

CYaBro
03-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Win 2000 Pro doesn't need to be activated.

With any program / OS that does, the activation process gives you the option of doing it over the net or by telephone.
If you choose to do it by telephone it then gives you the phone number to call.

mikebartnz
03-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Yes but it can be a real pain though.

Gorela
03-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Windows XP gives you the option of activating over the net or the phone. As Mike said it is a definite pain over the phone. It involves dialing a number that the activation program will note after you tell it your region.

It is then necessary to enter seven individual groups of numbers after which you will be told the number to activate your product.

An extremely lengthy process.

mikebartnz
03-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Try doing it on a cell phone and it is next to impossible. Accidently hit the wrong number- Start again; Timeout- start again. I actually gave up and got my lengthy phone extension to do it online. I was doing it for someone else. Dealing with a person on the other end of the line would have been a breeze.

somebody
04-07-2003, 09:01 AM
I just wrote the numbers down on a piece of paper first, then went and typed it into the computer.

There are illegal methods of getting past the activation, but I haven't tried any before - and don't intend to either, or MS will be hunting me down.