PDA

View Full Version : Printing an unsent draft message in OE

Misty
02-07-2003, 09:15 PM
It appears that it is not possible to print out a copy of a message you have put together in OE 6 before you have sent it. The print option shows up in grey. I 'got around' this by copying to the clipboard and pasting into Word and then printing off.

It seems peculiar not to have this option. Does anyone know why this is please ?
Misty

?:|

Heather P
02-07-2003, 09:37 PM
You can print - but not whilst it's open ( ?:| - obviously a Microsoft "feature"!)

Just highlight the file name - don't double click to open it - and print then.

Misty
02-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Hi Heather
I must be doing something wrong, as still cannot do. I have it unopened in draft. I highlight (shows yellow) without opening. However when I look at printing that option is still grey - 1) when I right click 2) at the print option (to the right of 'foward') and 3) from File - print. All three show as grey.

What am I not doing or doing that's different ?

Misty

Heather P
02-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Dad was doing the copy-to-word-then-print exercise a few weeks ago so I had a play and we could both do it on our different machines.

I'm running OE 6. In the Folders List I highlight "drafts". There is currently one file in there. I click it once to highlight it - it turns blue - then click the print icon. It prints.

If I double click the file to open it I can also print it. (thought it didn't but just checked and it does)

If, however, it is an unsaved new message - it won't print.

Heather P
02-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Have any luck with it?

I've gone through settings and can't see anything that should be checked or unchecked but I can't remember having to do this for Dad anyway (his increasing blindness means if it involves changing settings I have to go round and do it rather than tell him on the phone).

Misty
06-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Hi again Heather
I did not manage just after your last post and trying again I still cannot get it to work ! In drafts the message highlights in yellow so that may be a clue. We are probably both using Outlook Express v 6.0 - but my OS is ME - perhaps yours is XP - would that make a difference ?? I would have thought only the program itself would be significant in this particular problem. The print option just stays grey and will not activate.
Misty

?:|

Heather P
19-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi Misty,

Been away for a couple of weeks so sorry for the delay in replying. I use Win 98 so that may be the difference. Have you found an answer by fiddling?

Misty
21-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Not yet Heather - but I will keep trying - should have been doing that rather than giving silly comments on
"The ultimate answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything " :8}

My mid-years resolution ! To keep to the meaningful topics, I get too easily sidetracked !

beama
21-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Have you tried selecting all the text then go file.... print.... (select the option) print selection.

Heather P
22-07-2003, 12:39 AM
The answer is Base 13.

But back to the boring stuff - I know my method works for Win 98 and OE cause I tried it. Afraid you'll just have to fiddle unless an answer pops up.

Heather

Misty
23-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Beama
Tried that but unfortunately not ! The print option remains grey.
Misty

Jim B
23-07-2003, 09:23 PM
If you can't print from Drafts by all the methods mentioned than there is something abnormal with OE and no amount of fiddling will make any difference.

You may need to reinstall OE or do a repair to get it working again.

You would not want to do this very often I imagine so is it really a problem, why not just email it to yourself and then print it.