PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Not responding?

c.y.
02-07-2003, 12:30 PM
I just installed mandrake linux 9.1 on my computer (P-II 266Mhz, 128MB ram, S3 ViRGE graphics card). It has a habit of crashing quite often - the only remedy seems to be to reboot the machine.

I wonder if anyone is able to tell me what's causing the problem.

plus, it pauses at the 'Finding module dependencies' line for over 5 minutes every time it loads. Is that normal?

bmason
02-07-2003, 01:14 PM
> I just installed mandrake linux 9.1 on my computer
> (P-II 266Mhz, 128MB ram, S3 ViRGE graphics card). It
> has a habit of crashing quite often - the only remedy
> seems to be to reboot the machine.

What kind of crash? What causes it?

Try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X. It should return you to the log on screen. If it works then its probably a problem with your graphics card.

Have you done a memory test? Linux is more sensitive to hardware faults than windows 9x. There is a package on the mandrake CDs called memtest86. Install it, then restart, and select memtest from the list of operating systems. And let it run.

> plus, it pauses at the 'Finding module dependencies'
> line for over 5 minutes every time it loads. Is that
> normal?

There is a bit of a pause, but it shouldn't be that much. My P400 took ~10 secs.

Graham L
02-07-2003, 03:55 PM
The delay might be in another part of the boot process. Have you got an Ethernet card which is not being used? The system might be waiting to see what the rest of the network is doing ... that can cause a long delay if there isn't a "rest of the network". :D

bmason
02-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Thats possible, but the the modules stuff happens before it tries to bring up the network.

It can take some time on slow machines. It took ~10mins on my 386, but thats probably a bad example :-).

c.y.
05-07-2003, 06:07 PM
sorry about the delay... my pc was not responding.

> the pause at the 'Finding module dependencies' line

I didn't have a Ethernet card to start with, but putting a spare one in DID solve the problem (either that or it was something else i did by accident). Thanks Graham L for the reverse phycology :)

> What kind of crash?

The computer just stops, mouse/keyboard doesn't work, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't work :(

Took me quite a while to figure out how to install and run 'memtest86' - but no memory errors found.

Interestingly, it lasted about 10 minutes before crashing from a cold start (like first thing in the morning), but after it's been on for a while, it would've crashed before it even finished loading... can anyone give me more ideas to try?

Graham L
06-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Maybe it was looking for a network card in order to look for a module. :D I suppose the assumption is that there is a network, these days.

The locking up is more serious. That is usually caused by the system waiting for an interrupt which never comes.

I would be inclined to double check that the BIOS Plug and Play support is turned off. Linux can do a better job if the Intel/Microsoft one hasn't stuffed things up. :D

rsnic
06-07-2003, 08:09 PM
What programs are you using when it crashes? Does it tend to happen in the same program. Check what scripts are being run by cron(/etc/cron.hourly, ...)