PDA

View Full Version : CAD running old sytems

Thomas01
01-07-2003, 05:16 PM
I use DCWIN for all my drafting needs and have done for years. It was written for WINDOWS3.1 and the authors (Trius) have no intention of updating it. Terrific program - fast and remarkably powerful - I know of no other program that compares. But on my new HP Laptop running Windows XP there are problems. The program does not function completely as it does with all other Windows. Then I thought. (Thats rare for a start), How about if I put Win 3.1 on a CD together with DCWIN and ran the program on my lap top by booting first to the CD and running it from there. I'm a bit scared of doing it without more experienced operators telling me its OK. What do you think ? Would I be mad ?

Terry Porritt
01-07-2003, 06:16 PM
I dont think you wouldnt be able to install and run dos/win3.1 on a CD. Maybe you should get another computer just for Win 3.1 and dos. I use a plug in hard drive caddy for running older operating systems.

There is also Draft Choice 2.0 for dos which doesnt expire and may be very similar to DCWin. I used to find that was a good program, but I think you would still need to write and read from a HDD, unless you could use 2 floppy drives instead, but you wouldnt have 2 drives on a laptop.

Graham L
01-07-2003, 06:18 PM
I'd be more inclined to make a partition and have a multi-boot to 3.1 and XP. :D It might be a bit tricky setting up the W3.1 to use the HD for its swap device. Possible ... just remember that it can't write to the CD.

Or since the new stuff doesn't work properly, scrap that and use W3.1 only. :D B-) (Or, even better, WFW3.11 ;-) B-)).

The ResinMaster
01-07-2003, 09:46 PM
I agree with Graham, best option is to dual boot two operating systems,
or try running DCWIN in compatibility mode try using Win 95 compatibility and see what happens, I think it would be worth a shot

mikebartnz
01-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Before trying anything else try this.
On the link you use to start it right click it and on the Compatability page try making it compatable with Win95 ( I think that is as low as it goes). I have had joy doing this with an old 3.1 accounting program they did not want to spend $800 odd to upgrade as it did all they wanted.

Thomas01
02-07-2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the interest chaps. Yes I am familiar with DC for DOS. Used it for years. Excellent. Its main problem is with PRINTERS. It doesn't give you the choice of printers but only allows those it is set up for. So no use for me now. And yes chaps I tried getting XP to run the program in Win95 mode but no joy. Strange that because it always has worked OK in Win98 as well as 95.
Yes I could keep an old computer running Win3.1 - I have one - but its only mono - the battery gives about 35 minutes use and anyway I have given it to my grand daughter who loves it. To be honest now that I am on the wrong side of 70 I feel perhaps I ought to take the easy safe way out and accept the situation as it and not try any more of my "daft" ideas. I will also look out for some more modern and acceptable CAD program - they seem to be as rare as hens teeth - unless you want to pay the earth.

godfather
02-07-2003, 10:14 PM
its likely to be a 16 bit DOS program, and XP has no DOS underpinning it. Only a DOS emulator. Win 9x has DOS underneath it.

The 16 bit side of things will be the main problem with the emulation mode I suspect.