PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Money

heaton
01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
My new computer came with Microsoft Money already installed in Windows XP. This is an American based program and far too complicated for me. There is an icon on the desk top but I can't see any sign of the programme in any of the programme lists nor is it visible in advanced uninstaller. Where does this programme live and how can I get rid of it ?
cheers......heaton

Thomas01
01-07-2003, 04:05 PM
I cannot help you find it but do suggest you try using it. I did about 3 or so years ago and found it was really 12 months before I was really good with it. But it is good. I couldn't visualize myself being without it now. Nice knowing where every penny has gone. But it doesn't help you to make more of those pennies unfortunately.
Regards
Tom

heaton
01-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Thank you Thomas for your comments. I am an accountant ( retired ) and use quicken for a clubs accounts so am conversant with accounting software. I think MS Money is an overkill. Maybe ok for a rich person with lots of investments etc and a dozen different bank accounts but for the ordinary bloke like me it is just too much. I would like to get rid of it as I hate to think of stuff taken up room on my hard drive even though I have got gigabytes of space. cheers......heaton

Susan B
01-07-2003, 07:57 PM
You could try right-clicking on the Desktop icon, choose Properties then Find Target. That should locate it for you, but if not then go to the Program Files folder and look for MSMoney (or similar). You could also do a search in the Program Files folder for "money" just to be sure it isn't tucked away somewhere obscure.

If nothing shows up then it is possible/likely that Money is not actually on your computer and that the shortcut on your Desktop is Misleading Advertising. :-)

As a matter of interest I use MS Money even though I am far from being rich. Maybe it is a bit of an overkill but it is quite good for keeping a tight rein on the budget. Horses for courses as always, however. :-)

Maryann
01-07-2003, 08:27 PM
From Poppa John. I also found MS Money Too complicated. Probably would use something simpler, is there anything?? Currently do it all on a monthly handwritten "spreadsheet". Any suggestions??? PJ

heaton
02-07-2003, 10:12 AM
To Poppa John, I have a very early version of quicken for windows and do all a clubs finances on that. It is superb for producing simple reports and I use a spreadsheet for converting its american designed balance sheet into a more simpler one that members can understand. When I ran a small business there was a program called JOBAL which was very good for handling business accounts where GST accounting was needed. I don't know whether it is still on the market. I really find some of these accounting packages are far too complicated for simple home use and I think your spreadsheet is probably all you want.
cheers...........heaton

Robby
03-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Hello Heaton,

I see it doesn't appear in the add/remove but it is in the Program file folder. You could attempt to uninstall it manualy, by first deleting the money folder, then doing a search, and deleting anything pertaining to money. This method doesn't always get everything though.

Be aware, that money is tied to other programs like the explorer browser etc, so uninstalling may effect the running of these.

cheers,

Robby

heaton
03-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks all: Here is my experience for the benefit of others. I located the program which had three separate folders. Delete the first one ok it vanished. Deleted the second one it too vanished. So far so good. Right clicked on the third folder and it commenced to delete but reached a file and siad this could not be deleted. Back to square one but hold on a minute. Came out of this page and went to go into another application and up comes a window saying. MICROSOFT INSTALL WIZARD. ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL MICROSOFT WORD. Immediately clicked on cancel. Panel disappeared momentarily only to come back with the same message. Tried to cancel six times but it kept persisting. Let it go but after a second or two another panel saying PLEASE INSERT DISC.
As I never got a disc with this as it was bundled with the computer thought what the hell do I do now ???
Clicked on rubbish bin and restored the two folders I had consigned there and low and behold Microsoft word is back in place and persistent panel gone. So I am stuck with this program whether I like it or not.
WE ARE MICROSOFT..RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.
End of story.....Cheers......Heaton

tommy
03-07-2003, 03:46 PM
If Microsoft Money does not have an option in your Add/Remove Programs menu in Control Panel it could have been hidden. I am not sure this will work or not but you might like to try it.

Open the file Open C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf in NOTEPAD and search for money. If the result is positive have a look at the end of line it is in and see if it looks like this: inf,hide,7. If so change the line to remove the "hide" so it looks like this: inf,,7 Save the file and exit.

You should now have MS Money in the Add/Remove Programs menu.

If this does not apply another option is to try an uninstaller program, eg Advanced Uninstaller PRO (http://www.innovative.go.ro/purchase_uninstaller.htm). This program is shareware which you can try before purchasing.