PDA

View Full Version : Putting Page file in a seperate partition

globaltech
30-06-2003, 01:55 PM
I've read some where that it'd be better to have a seperate partition for your page file, and it will make a noticable performance improvement. Can anyone give a clear description as how to go about doing this ?
Thanks
I have 40 GB hard disk, and 3 partition and use winXP.

gerardkean
30-06-2003, 02:23 PM
your page file would be happier all by itself.

Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties from the right click menu
Then choose the advanced tab
Then click the Performance Options buttons

Under Virtual Memory press the button marked Change...

Select the partition you want and type int the minimum and maximum values for the page file you want to create (usually 1.5 time the size of your ram) and press the Set button.

Next select the C: partition and remove that swap file by clearing the values in the minumum and maximum boxes and hitting set.

When you press OK you'll be tole that you have to restart. Changes will take effect after you do.

tweak\'e
30-06-2003, 02:42 PM
>I've read some where that it'd be better to have a seperate partition for your page file, and it will make a noticable performance improvement.

yes and no. if your pc is lacking in ram yes but if have more than enough ram then you proberly won't notice the difference (as the swap file will very rarly be used). basicly make sure you have enough ram to start with :)

having it on a seperate partition can help IF its on the first partition on the disk. its a bit pointless putting it on a slow part of the disk. to small a partition will mean you can run out of memory while to big a partition is just a waste of space.

generally don't set a max paging/swap file size otherwise you risk running out of memory. setting a min size helps tho.

there are programs such as nortons speed disk which can move the swap file to the front (fastest part) of the disk without the hassle of partitions.

mikebartnz
30-06-2003, 03:05 PM
>there are programs such as nortons speed disk which can move the swap file to the front (fastest part) of the disk without the hassle of partitions.
This would really only work if you set a very reasonable min limit or unless it leaves enough room for it to grow.

tweak\'e
30-06-2003, 06:45 PM
>This would really only work if you set a very reasonable min limit

exactly .........which is what nortons optomistion prog does, as well as test the hardrives for the fastest one.

mikebartnz
30-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Thank you.

gerardkean
02-07-2003, 02:41 PM
I've found that speeddisk wouldn't move my swap file under win2000 even when I specifically told it to.

I use partitions as a matter of habbit. I'm always monkeying with my OS's and having most things away from c: saves a lot of headaches.

BIFF
02-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Regardless of where the volume is on the disk there will be a speed decrease by having the pagefile on a different volume on the same physical disk as the system volume.

Graham L
02-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Modern disk are so fast that you won't notice a speed difference. What will affect the speed of access of a swap file (or any file) is whether it is fragmented. So it's smart to have a fixed size swap file. If it's on its own partition, that's fine. If you can afford the space ... make a partition "big enough", and make a fixed swap size (that size) on the partition.