PDA

View Full Version : Still unable to install IE6

dele
29-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I am unable to install IE6 on my computer. I always get the message that the following components are not installed.

e.g.
Internet Explorer 6 Web Browser
Outlook Express
Vector Graphics Rendering(VML)
etc

If I try again I get the same error. If I shutdown and start again, I get the same error. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get a successful install IE6? I run ME and use the IE6 install file from the PC World CD.

regards

Craig

godfather
29-06-2003, 08:00 PM
What version of IE do you presently have?

Perhaps refresh that version first?

I have had problems once when trying to update from IE 4 to IE 5.5
Refused to install, but was OK if the upgrade was IE4 --> IE5 -->IE5.5

If you try reloading IE 5.5 (assuming you have that now) and then upgrading to IE6 what happens?

stu140103
29-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Have you tried downloading IE 6.0 throw windows update???

tweak\'e
29-06-2003, 09:08 PM
try removing IE before installing. look here (http://www.litepc.com/ier_lic.html)

dele
30-06-2003, 12:14 AM
thanks for your reply.

Yes I reinstalled IE5.5. This worked. But IE6 still did not install. However
after running IEradicator2001.exe I was able to install IE6 sucessfully.

IEradicator did not remove all of IE5.5. The folder "C:\windows\internet explorer" is still there with files inside. Deleting it to the recycle bin is not possible either as a the following is displayed. "Cannot delete Internet Explorer: Access is denied. The source file may be used."

But I'm happy having IE6 running :-)

tweak\'e
30-06-2003, 09:12 AM
as it says on the web site IEradicator leaves behind the web intergration (eg active desktop) so when you reinstall IE you will still have the active desktop etc. early ver of IEradicator removed everything but it ment you lost the active desktop even after you reinstalled IE.