View Full Version : that corrupt disk

sc0ut
29-06-2003, 11:03 AM
i have 5 word docs in a floppy and thay are 2 are corrupt :(
any easy way of slightly saving it?
i'm unsure if the disk is corrupt or the data

Jen C
29-06-2003, 11:36 AM
You might want to try this free utility for recovering data off bad/damaged floppies: Flopshow (Version 1.2) (http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/60018.html).

Jen C
29-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Oh, and if it is the document itself that is corrupt, have a read of Document Corruption (http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/document_corruption.htm) and the links they provide.

beama
29-06-2003, 12:38 PM
there are a couple of things you can try.
1. try opening those files from within word instead of double clicking on them, sometimes the program/file association is lost ie file ...open.. browse to the floppy

2. do a search for Rest2514.exe it is a file recovery utility FREE. ( it is a self unpacking exercuteable, very easy to use)
when you save in word it first deletes the file then recreates the new one so you maybe able to recover an slightly older version of the corrupted ones

3. Run scandisk on that floppy but don't this until you have saved all usable files to another source incase you destroy that floppy which has to me in the past using this method

4. don't dismiss any other posts on this subject

Good luck

Graham L
29-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Scandisk will help you to lose more data. It might make a file "readable, but the sectors it writes to good areas on the disk don't magically contain the data from bnad sectors. If it "can't read" a sector (because the CRC is wrong) it won't read it, just writes "a" sector's worth to the replacement sector. It might be "0"s; it might be just anything it has in a buffer. I haven't looked. :D

Norton's Utility might get it. It will at least try.

A crude method which might get any readable stuff would be to raw copy it in a Linux system (dd if=/dev/fd0 of=mydata.raw bs=72k then run strings -1 mydata.raw > test.dat on it. That should give you all "printable characters" (without the Word formatting codes). That's just off the top of my head, but a bit of experimenting might be worthwhile. Another command: dd if=mydata.raw of=/dev/fd0 bs=72k would make an exact copy of the disk (on a known good disk ... not the bad one :D) which you could experiment on with other methods.

sc0ut
29-06-2003, 03:18 PM
wow thats all handy stuff thanks i'll tell you if i get retrieve it