PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost 2003 with Dynamic NTFS disks

HadO
29-06-2003, 12:03 AM
I have recently encountered a problem with Norton Ghost when trying to back up my NTFS dynamic system disk to a NTFS partition on a second HDD. The second HDD has two partitions and Ghost only sees 1.

I have had no problems doing this until I reformatted and repartioned the second HDD.

Using DOS/Win98 boot disk and Ghost 2003 on a floppy - using Local Disk > Image File - Save to dialog shows only one partition on second drive.

Any ideas?

TerryW
29-06-2003, 01:21 PM
You can only save an image somewhere that is readable in dos; Fat/fat32 or if you have a rw driver for ntfs then to that partition; afik that is

HadO
29-06-2003, 01:30 PM
I have been saving to a NTFS partition with no problems up until now - the 1st NTFS partition is shown but the second partition which is empty is not - I have tried changing the designations eg. F:\ to G:\ and back again but no change in GHOST.

I thought about formatting a FAT32 partition to backup to but is it possible to create a FAT32 partition which is 37.27GB??

Would using a FAT32 partition to backup a NTFS partition create any problems?

Mike
29-06-2003, 02:19 PM
HadO - I have a feeling that part of the problem could be the dynamic disks. Windows help says that dynamic disks may be (probably will be) unable to be accessed outside Windows.

Check out this page

Also, you can create a Fat32 partition that big, however you'll need to use something like Partition Magic to create the partition and format it - Windows doesn't like to do it :)

HTH

Mike.

HadO
29-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Mike - thanks for the info. I am downloading an update for it now - hopefully this should cure the problem.

I was aware of the dynamic disk issue but have had no problems with it up til now - when restoring an image to a dynamic disk GHOST restores as a basic disk and then you just convert back to a dynamic using the Disk Mangement console.

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

HadO
29-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Haha! Success.

Used LiveUpdate to patch to latest release - created GHOST image using Local Partition > Image File - both NTFS dynamic partitions were shown in Save to... dialog.

Being one to constantly preach the "Update your software/drivers" constantly I feel quite stupid I didn't do it earlier - oh well you live and learn :D

Time to do some Windows patching :(